My first bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shred

Former Microbrewery Founder & Pro Brewer
Reaction score
So, I got my first brew into bottles last week. There were some less-than-pleasant surprises along the way, however.

I have all the gory details in my blog (as always, shoutouts given back to these forums), but here's a snippet:

I've never used a bottle capper before, so I figured I'd test this red contraption out. At a glance it seems simple enough. Place the cap on the magnet in the capper, place the capper on the bottle, squeeze. Yeah... that's how it's supposed to work. I spent 15 minutes without a single success before turning to internet videos for help. They, of course, showed exactly what I was doing.

I'm pretty sure I invented some new swear words. Now I've got 5 gallons of beer that won't make it into a bottle because I don't possess the necessary coordination to cap... wait, what's this brass thing?

Hmm... it has a jagged piece of red plastic on it. That's the same color red as the cap... Damn it! It's broken! (The company who sold us this kit will be receiving a not-so-nice email).

I hope this blog post helps others from dealing with the same headaches!

Yeah...cap on the bottle then capper on that usually works best.

Also check craigslist for bottlecappers and try to get yourself a bench bottle capper for cheap. I got mine for $5 best bottling purchase ever...besides bottle tree and avinator.

Also, although some people swear by it, I wouldn't use your dishwasher to sanitize. Just get some starsan. Mix up a 5 gallon batch and reuse it forever...seriously one bottle of it will last forever.

Back