My first BIAB (or of any kind) brewing session...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deeve007

Reaction score
After all the help I got with my first thread, thought it worthwhile posting up my first brewing session to help others, and maybe help me learn some lessons.

I was referring to this great blog post/article I had found for brewing with as minimal equipment as possible (mainly due to being where I am for a shortish amount of time): https://homebrewanswers.com/minimum-equipment-all-grain-brew/

-----

Step 1: Start the boil
- The caramel grains weren't milled too good, pilsen grains were okay, but something I'll keep in mind depending on how beer turns out.

step1.jpg

Step 2: Grains into water at 75 celcius
- I then put pot into pre-heated oven to keep at stable temparture, as I had read a few places, seemed to work quite well.

step2.jpg

Step 3: Remove grain, start the boil

step3.jpg

Step 4: Hoppity hop hop hop
- By this stage I had some real brewery type smells going on so something was going right...

step4.jpg

Step 5: Pot into ice filled sink to cool down [no photos]
- I'm not sure if I cooled it down fast enough, so something to learn from.

Step 6: Into fermenter for a week, yeast added
- Something I didn't do (I should have double checked with a friend) is add more water to take it up to the target amount (10L) and gravity level of recipe. So gravity level of 1.070 means I'm gonna have some strong beer it would seem... lesson learnt.

step6.jpg

-----

And will update this thread once I bottle...

Grain in first photo looks uncrushed, or not crushed well at all!

Guessing this is the caramel malt....
Looks like a lot of crystal malt to me...who knew

Surprised you got a 1.070 gravity with that crush?
Your gravity sample was chilled to ambient?

Grain in first photo looks uncrushed, or not crushed well at all!

Guessing this is the caramel malt....
Looks like a lot of crystal malt to me...who knew
Yeah had a couple of brewer friends mention that, but this was supposed to be a prepared recipe kit and I don't have equipment to mill so will see how it turns out, and mention it to the recipe provider for next time.

Latest posts

Back