My first beer experience and the race to %20 ABV

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dirtybasementbrew

Reaction score
I'm drunk and rambling but I want to share. I was 14 years old in a little town in Germany called Kitzingen. A grand wedding of one of my grandmothers brothers girls. She was only 20 at the time, but back than 14 year olds were drinking regularly. Wedding was great and reception was even better. Dancing and singing, watching first hand what a good time is supposed to look like. Everybody was drinking and drinking beer not some fancy colored top shelf pinky pointing energy drink mixing round ice ball cube with a double umbrella and fruit salad drink.
It is still very clear to this day, like a glow from heaven, in the corner of the barn/hall was a wooden barrel rack (like the ones you see at whiskey distillery) with three barrels on it. Each had a syphon with a hose connected. The hose was pinched to he top of the barrel and the reason they used a hose not just a valve type pourer was so they could tell how much was in the barrel. Take off the hose and slowly lower till beer comes out, that is the level inside the barrel. All the beer was at room temp.
I drank freely for the whole night and I will never forget that. Beer was amazing as well as the people. Not sure what type of beer it was but I know it wasn't badweiser. That brings me to this.
I see the whole craft beer revolution (which is not really new to me because I have been drinking good beers for the better of 20 years) but I have noticed the trend of higher ABV brews is growing. And this could be because our brew techniques are so good that we can make whiskey taste like beer. Every new friend I get into craft beer wants to check ABV first. I think we r slowly getting away from drinking great tasting, great smelling beer for the drink itself but rather drink big big beer for short periods of yome!

Back