my first batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guiness

Reaction score
is in the fermenter, but i wouldn't call the trip there smooth.

first, when i was boiling the wort it never really achieved a rolling boil nor did i notice the hot break within the first 20 minutes. i put the lid on the pot which helped achieve a rolling boil, but still i did not get the foam that i was expecting. stopped the boil at an hour and proceeded.

second, after adding the wert and cooled boiled water to the carboy, i realized i hadn't boiled enough water for 5 gallons. i spent 2 hours boiling another pot of water and letting it cool before i could actually pitch the yeast which had been sitting covered with saran wrap for probably 3 hours.

so it's sitting in a closet now, but i'm worried that i totally screwed up my very first batch. only time will tell i guess.

Always good advice, Ofry. I've been brewing five years and yesterday, as I was teaching my friend Tom how to brew, I started running the wort into the fermenter without checking to see if the valve was closed. Of course, since I didn't check, it was open!

You could have pitched the yeast while you were boiling up more water, but your brew should be fine.

definitely going to plan things out better next time. things were kind of frantic this batch, but the brew is bubbling away right now. keeping my fingers crossed.

Sounds like you're doing fine. Orfy pretty much already summed it up: The mantra of the homebrewer, "Relax, don't worry, have a homebrew" :)

Sounds like you are fine to me! All of my brews have been off a little. After the first one, I learned to boil up a couple gallons and cooled it just to have on hand for bringing it up to 5Gal if needed. Yesterday's batch had 3.5Lbs of specialty grain, so I lost a lot. I had to add 3/4 Gal to primary before I could take my OG reading. I can also use some for rinsing items that need it. and for filling airlocks.

As for your yeast, I usually have mine on the counter for a couple hours before I pitch. I rehydrate for a bit, then proof for the rest of the session until I pitch.

Back