My first batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BOURBONandBEER

Reaction score
I started my first batch last sunday. It's a brown ale with two cups of honey and one cup of bourbon added just before the end of the boil. My one year old pulled the airlock out at about 72 hours and my wife replaced it within seconds but since then the airlock has not been bubbleing at all. I moved the bucket to a more secure location and noticed that as i moved it a few bubbles were coming through the airlock so I swirled it a bit and this got it going again. I read in a couple forums that airaiting any at all during this stage can be bad. Should I start over?

No, don't start over. Your beer should be just fine. When your child pulled the airlock off, the pressure inside the fermenter was released. It took awhile to rebuild that pressure and see it in the airlock.

Now, you must patience learn, Young Brewer!

glenn514:mug:

I started my first batch last sunday. It's a brown ale with two cups of honey and one cup of bourbon added just before the end of the boil. My one year old pulled the airlock out at about 72 hours and my wife replaced it within seconds but since then the airlock has not been bubbleing at all. I moved the bucket to a more secure location and noticed that as i moved it a few bubbles were coming through the airlock so I swirled it a bit and this got it going again. I read in a couple forums that airaiting any at all during this stage can be bad. Should I start over?

no don't start over your beer will be fine. airlock activity really doesn't matter much. but don't swirl it anymore, you don't want oxygen in your beer. welcome to HBT btw :mug:

You obviously haven't heard about the brew vessel child-proofing kit? I gives off a 10,000 volt shock to any one under 10 years of age that even thinks about touching your brew vessel. ;) Let's not talk about the teenager deterrent. Good luck and welcome to the hobby.
:fro:

Thanks guys. I wasn't worried all that much, just don't really know what I'm doing yet. I'm pretty excited about this first batch, I've been wanting to do this for quite some time just never did.

One more question the instructions I read said to bottle after about ten days in the primary but after what I read here this may not be the best route. I dont have a carboy for secondary should I just leave in the bucket for a little longer and maybe put it in the garage for about a week. ave temp out there is 55-60 degrees right now and it is somewhat climate controled but does vary a bit.

You obviously haven't heard about the brew vessel child-proofing kit? I gives off a 10,000 volt shock to any one under 10 years of age that even thinks about touching your brew vessel. ;) Let's not talk about the teenager deterrent. Good luck and welcome to the hobby.

This is good advice. I was talking with the wife abot getting one of those remote controlled bark collars for him.:D

Do a search and read as much as possible and decide for yourself if you want to use a secondary. The most progressive train of thought is to let it sit in the primary for 4 weeks test to make sure FG is stable and then bottle or keg from there. 55-60 may be a little low. try to get it somewhere that maintains about 68-72. Yeast work slower in cooler temps.
Word of advice: Find some food grade buckets cheap (bakery, aquarium store etc) and brew 1-2 more beers soon, it will help the time pass much faster. If not, waiting for for your first beer to finish is like watching grass grow.

Back