My First Batch of Fresh Pressed Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acemannw

Reaction score
I started helping my neighbor when he got into home brewing this summer. It was fun and a I learned so much about how alcohol is made. I had a bad experience as a kid so I am not much of a beer guy, but I do really love hard Cider. He had a me buy a few things that I would need but let me use his kit to get everything made up.

I just did a batch of Fresh Pressed Apple Cider, I started it on October 6th.

6 gallons of fresh cider
1 packet of Champagne Yeast (misplaced the package)
3 pounds of WI honey
2 teaspoons of Northern Brewers Pectic Enzyme
4 teaspoons of Northern Brewers Yeast Nutrient

Primary was for 16 days at 70F in my utility room. Racked it to a secondary for another 14 days. It was so clear! Ended up with a very dry Cider. It needed some help in the flavor department so I added

2 bottles of Natural Apple Flavor
6 cups of Xylosweet
4.5 oz of dextrose for carbonating sugar

Bottled it up and tried to be patient and wait for things to carbonate.

1 Week in: I tried it and there were hardly and bubbles and it was almost still.
2 Weeks in: Wow what a difference the first week was it was really good after two weeks.
3 Weeks in: This stuff is amazing!! The carbonation was right where I wanted it. It was very bubbly and delicious.

ABV must be a little higher then I was expecting because my limit on these is probably 2 bottles.

2014-10-20 19.45.49.jpg

2014-11-02 19.22.39.jpg

It was far easier then I was expecting. Now I am starting to pick up some of my own equipment. Can't rely on him forever.

Nice! I'm on my first batch of cider also...still have some time left but it is exciting seeing the progress!

Did you get any SG readings throughout the process? If not, I encourage you to get some on the next go around, since it will give you a better way to replicate or change your recipe for future batches.

As an example, let's say your fresh cider started off with an SG of 1.030. Adding 3 lbs of honey (at 95% sugar, that is 7.6oz per gallon of cider) will bump your SG up in the 1.050-1.055 range. That give you a potential alcohol level of around 7%.

Also, I was curious what you did after you got the carbonation you liked. Did you put everything into the fridge?

Sounds like the OP sweetened with Xylitol and carbed with a normal amount of priming sugar. No need to cold crash.

Yes sweetened with Xyilo and carbed with regular sugar. I have been getting a couple of bottles that didn't have as much carbonation as I would like so I am thinking I didn't stir it up enough when I dumped in the sugar water.

Seeing as it was my first batch I didn't record the gravity measurements. If I remember correctly it was 1.070 after adding the honey. I got it down to 1.000 after primary and secondary.

It was very sweet apples, next year I am going to ask for more of a mix.

Great! Thanks for the info. At 1.070 you're looking at low 9s for the ABV! No wonder you're sitting pretty after 2 ciders :mug:

Latest posts

Back