My first batch is very yeasty

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So about 2 months ago I did my first batch. It was a canned Munton's Brown Ale kit that came with my equipment for free.

Nothing really went wrong during the brewing process other than forgetting to take an OG reading. I may not have cooled my wort long enough before adding yeast.

It's been bottled for 5 weeks now, and every bottle tastes very, very yeasty. Not terrible, but not very good either.

It being a canned kit, I'm wondering if (assuming that there is nothing wrong with my process) it was just a case of bad or old yeast. There's no telling how old the yeast was that came with it.

I have a second batch in my primary now. It already tasted better pre-fermentation than the Munton's does bottled. Watching it ferment, it's going crazy compared to the first. Actually had to use a blowoff this time. The other didn't really do too much. Just some bubbles for a few days.

I don't want to mess this one up, but I don't know if it is process or just bad yeast. Anyone have any experience with low quality or old yeast in the kits?

Well if the yeast performed it's duties in fermentation it wasn't old or bad. Sounds like you have a clarity issue. We'd need to know your process and timelines to troubleshoot that.

Forgot to take an OG. FG was 1.020, which is higher than expected. Was supposed to be something like 1.010 according to the can.

I never got a hot break with it like I did with my 2nd batch that is fermenting. Maybe that has something to do with it. It boiled...somewhat, but never the exposion during the boild where I had to watch it like a hawk.

Sat in primary for 3 weeks. Not a very violent fermentation. Not much of a yeast cake either. Just kept it at room temperature the whole time. Didn't really monitor the temperature. I'm watching the second batch like a hawk.

Cleaned (Oxiclean) and sanitized (Iodophor) everything before fermentation and bottling. Bottled with 3/4 cup of corn sugar.

Has been bottled for 5 weeks. I've had a 6 pack in the fridge for a week and it tastes the same as any other.

Maybe I just didn't watch it closely enough? Temp could have been too high/low? Bad boil? User error?

Sounds like your yeast was low flocculating and a poor attenuator at that. More time chilled might drop some more yeast out. You're careful not to pour the yeast right?

Yup. Pouring slow and fast, tastes the same either way.

I'll put some the beer fridge outside, forget about it for a while, and see what happens in a few weeks.

I would try putting it in the fridge for a day or two, check the bottle to see if there is a cake on the bottom and pour off about half of the bottle. Taste to see if it's still yeasty. If it isn't then you just have a lot of yeast in the beer so cool it down and let it settle. The Beer should also be clearer.

If the clear beer is still yeasty I don't really know what could cause that. Could adding a lot of dead yeast to the wort just cause the yeast to stay floating around?

Also PS, you are spot on, every book tells home brewers to never use the yeast on the bottom of the cans. Next bach, I would get a few packets of dry yeast from saflager or another reputable dealer.

I bet, like the others say, putting it in the fridge willl help the yeast flavor. You'll be left with a semi sweet brew since your FG was high.

I would try putting it in the fridge for a day or two, check the bottle to see if there is a cake on the bottom and pour off about half of the bottle. Taste to see if it's still yeasty. If it isn't then you just have a lot of yeast in the beer so cool it down and let it settle. The Beer should also be clearer.

If the clear beer is still yeasty I don't really know what could cause that. Could adding a lot of dead yeast to the wort just cause the yeast to stay floating around?

Also PS, you are spot on, every book tells home brewers to never use the yeast on the bottom of the cans. Next bach, I would get a few packets of dry yeast from saflager or another reputable dealer.

Good advice. It being a dark brown already, it's kind of hard to tell if it is clear or not. I will put it up to a light and see. I have some that's been in the fridge about 10 days that will make for a good test case.

As for the yeast on the bottom, there isn't a whole lot. Not as much as I expected anyway.

The good news is the batch I brewed last week had some fresh yeast from the HB store, and it's going crazy. And it sounds like the yeast was my primary issue in the first batch. The bad news is I have a bunch of yeasty beer to get rid of.

Some yeast strains (like Munton's) are junk and will leave a not-very-good yeasty taste behind, especially if fermented warm.

Don't buy Munton's yeast, and be cautious with Cooper's yeast. A good quality dry ale yeast can be had for just a dollar or two more.

Back