my final volume is a little low

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turbotoad87

Reaction score
So, I've made quite a few batches of my IPA, somehow, this time, my final volume came up a little short. Normally, I wouldn't worry about it. I haven't measured it out yet, but I am guessing it is going to come up just about a half gallon short. I am providing the beer to my sister's wedding this October (about 200 guests) and needed to get my volume right. I'm not wanting to add water, the ABV isn't high enough for that, and I don't want to water down the rest of the flavors. So, my question is: do you think I could use a commercial beer to bring the volume up before kegging? I'm thinking about using Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. any other suggestions?

Is it a five gallon batch or a ten gallon batch? if it is 5 then you might notice a Small flavor change but it is a 10 then all is good. Either way I would let it ride and not worry just use small cups.;)

Yeah I suggest you leave it as is and buy a case/keg of SNPA or some other beer for when it runs out.

Definitely don't add commercial stuff to it. That seems kind of odd to me. A half gallon is only about 5 beers. Is 5 beers going to be a deal breaker?

So, I've made quite a few batches of my IPA, somehow, this time, my final volume came up a little short. Normally, I wouldn't worry about it. I haven't measured it out yet, but I am guessing it is going to come up just about a half gallon short. I am providing the beer to my sister's wedding this October (about 200 guests) and needed to get my volume right. I'm not wanting to add water, the ABV isn't high enough for that, and I don't want to water down the rest of the flavors. So, my question is: do you think I could use a commercial beer to bring the volume up before kegging? I'm thinking about using Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. any other suggestions?

Yes. If you really need to hit final bottle count. Why not? It will be very subtle taste change. Think if you want to tune abv or IBU up or down as that may influence your decision.

how are you coming up short? is your efficiency still the same, are you hitting OG that your brewing software predicted or is it higher than predicted?

I think i was just being lazy... lets be real, I'm not gonna get to drink all of it... lol... thanks for bringing me back to reality...

Back