My experience with 3724

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kent88

Sometimes I have to remind myself
Staff member
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I brewed up a Chop and Brew recipe for Rhubarb Saison a week ago and wanted to share my observations so far as I've read a lot of negative stuff about Wyeast 3724 Belgian Saison yeast. Apparently it likes to quit in an environment with a gravity around 1.030, but the activity level in this case is encouraging.

This batch is somewhere around 2.5 gallons, and had an OG around 1.047 (not sure what the 8oz of rhubarb in primary added). Besides watching the C&B episode associated with the recipe I also listened to The Brewing Network's Brewing with Style episodes related to saison and I decided I would mash low, try to cool the wort below 70F before pitching, and then I would try to keep primary temps low for a few days before allowing ambient apartment temps to take over.

I smacked the pack as the boil started as I didn't want to risk overpitching, but still wanted to confirm that the yeast were viable. After a 75 minute boil I put my kettle in the sink with plenty of ice water (I don't have a proper chiller), got the temp down to 85F, and siphoned into the 3 gallon fermenter. I returned the carboy to the sink and probably got the wort down to 63F before I removed it and pitched the yeast, which had inflated the pack beyond what I had hoped for.

24 hours after pitching my DS18B20-based temp probe told me that the temp immediately outside my fermenter was in the high 60s, and I noticed a krausen had formed and there was plenty of airlock activity so I rocked the fermenter around a little to de-gas it. I kept the temp below 72F for the next 48 hours before I allowed it to free raise. Since then the temperature rose to about 77F (though it dipped down a couple degrees last night) and the airlock activity has slowed but is still noticeable. There is still plenty of foam on the surface along with the rhubarb, but I wouldn't call it krausen at this point. I plan on wrapping a heating pad around it tomorrow to try and get the temp up to around 80F.

While there is foam at the surface and what I would call significant airlock activity I wont be disturbing it, but when things start to calm down I'll be pulling a sample for a hydrometer reading. So far, I think I have reason to be optimistic that the yeast shouldn't give up that early, but just in case I plan on leaving it in primary for almost another week, and then I'll secondary on a pound of rhubarb for 2 more weeks, so I should have plenty of time for the yeast to do what I want it to, and for me to throw in some dry saison yeast if 3724 decides it can't get it down to the 1.007 range.

I'll follow up with that hydrometer reading when things calm down, or when I transfer to secondary.

Interesting post, I've never tried that yeast.
From the Wyeast website:

Expect a crisp, mildly acidic finish that will benefit from elevated fermentation temperatures. This strain is notorious for a rapid and vigorous start to fermentation, only to stick around 1.035 S.G. Fermentation will finish, given time and warm temperatures. Warm fermentation temperatures, at least 90°F (32°C), or the use of a secondary strain can accelerate attenuation.

Your plan doesn't include a temperature increase?

I've used 3724 several times with great results but it likes it hot. 80 degrees is at the bottom end of the scale for it in my experience.

You need to jack it up to 90 or more and be prepared to wait it out. It will do its thing. Also, you may want to swirl it a couple times a day.

I'm planning a temp increase. I've been keeping the temps low because those shows on The Brewing Network suggested I keep temps low to start, and then slowly increase. I think Jamil was using the white labs equivalent of 3724 and he reported that above 85F the yeast quit, but then he dropped the temp down below 85F and it started back up again. Not sure how closely these yeast strains are related, but I thought that I'd try to keep it below 85F to finish out the first week (basically leave it at ambient temps). Plus in the C&B video I don't recall him doing anything special to regulate the temps whatsoever. I plan to wrap an electric heating pad around it this evening.

@Rhumbline you recommend swirling it, is that to oxygenate, de-gas, or both? From what I understand oxygenating after krausen has fallen back in can cause off flavors so I'm a little cautious about doing this.

I just swirl it to get the yeast and other stuff back into suspension, definitely not trying to aerate it.

I don't know the science behind it, but it was recommended to me and it made a noticeable difference in fermentation. I just grap the fermenter and kind of hula dance with the thing.

Sorry for that visual...

Just transferred into secondary on a little more than one pound of rhubarb and rhubarb liquid. I took a gravity reading and got 1.006, which after temperature adjustment it should be at most 1.009. Hopefully after another two weeks the gravity will get down a couple more points.

I did bump up the temperature with a heating pad a little over the last half of primary, but I don't think I kept it consistently over 80F. I also rocked the carboy gently a few times to try and degas it. Tasting the hydrometer sample it is a bit like a bier de garde I made, but better and with rhubarb in the aftertaste. I thought it was pretty good. Hopefully I didn't mess that up by overdoing it with the rhubarb or aerating when I added the rhubarb and siphoned onto it.

I guess I lucked out (so far, but I still have about 11 days before I bottle). Despite keeping the temp fairly low (mostly upper 70s, occasionally lower 80s) 3724 seems to be doing its job and isn't getting stuck. And as far as taste, so far so good.

@Opiate42 when I mentioned this rhubarb saison in a thread a month ago you were interested, so I thought I'd just let you know.

Well, it has been a few days since transferring to secondary, and I realized that I've been neglecting something fairly important.

While my temps have been fairly low (ambient temps in the upper 70s, very low 80s) compared to what I've been hearing 3724 likes (mid to upper 80s) I have noticed that when I turn on the heating pad I have wrapped around my fermenter I get significantly more airlock activity than when it has been off for a while. My temp sensor hasn't been working very well recently so I can't give a more exact temperature for the area immediately around the fermenter.

I do find it interesting (maybe even a little frustrating) that I'm still seeing this much airlock activity when I turn the heating pad on. Gravity when I racked to secondary was around 1.009! I don't think rhubarb has that much sugar in it. I'd say there is some truth to the rumors that this yeast slows down more over time compared to other yeasts, but as long as it is warm and a brewer takes some measures to keep the heat up around it, it should work. I'm sure that there is some variance from smack pack to smack pack, though. I'm not surprised, a major yeast company shouldn't be selling a product that is consistently a dud.

@Opiate42 You going to brew a little with that rhubarb, or you saving it for some awesome desserts?

Well, I'm torn at this point, I'd appreciate some advice. I want to bottle this up in 2 days so it has time to carb before I enter it in a contest, but I'm still getting airlock activity (albeit only when the heating pad it on, which brings the temperature immediately around the carboy into the very high 80s, low 90s). I'm observing an airlock bubble about once every 2 minutes when temps are high.

Just a reminder that when I racked this onto the rhubarb over a week ago the gravity was down to below 1.009. With all the time and airlock activity since then I would think that most of the small amount of (easily fermentable?) sugar that was in the rhubarb has to have fermented out.

I'm tempted to bottle it, and add fizz drops as usual, and assume that any residual sugars are low enough that it will hardly contribute to carbonation. Am also thinking that since my bottle conditioning temps will be in the mid 70s the yeast shouldn't be perky enough to do much beyond work at the simple sugar in the fizz drops. How dangerous are these assumptions? I'm not asking for bottle bombs, am I?

EDIT: Took a gravity reading and it is down to 1.007

Well, I'm torn at this point, I'd appreciate some advice. I want to bottle this up in 2 days so it has time to carb before I enter it in a contest, but I'm still getting airlock activity (albeit only when the heating pad it on, which brings the temperature immediately around the carboy into the very high 80s, low 90s). I'm observing an airlock bubble about once every 2 minutes when temps are high.

Just a reminder that when I racked this onto the rhubarb over a week ago the gravity was down to below 1.009. With all the time and airlock activity since then I would think that most of the small amount of (easily fermentable?) sugar that was in the rhubarb has to have fermented out.

I'm tempted to bottle it, and add fizz drops as usual, and assume that any residual sugars are low enough that it will hardly contribute to carbonation. Am also thinking that since my bottle conditioning temps will be in the mid 70s the yeast shouldn't be perky enough to do much beyond work at the simple sugar in the fizz drops. How dangerous are these assumptions? I'm not asking for bottle bombs, am I?

EDIT: Took a gravity reading and it is down to 1.007

The gas you are seeing is probably temp related. When your beer heats up not only does it release CO2 that was held in solution but the volume of the gas and liquid actually expands. The expanding gas has to go somewhere (i.e. out the airlock).

Zombie Thread!!!

I realized that I never followed up on this. I never entered it in the contest because I didn't bottle it soon enough. The final gravity was indeed 1.007 and I added the fizz drops and never had a bottle bomb. I got a ton of great feedback on this from my family, which surprised me as they don't really do craft beer. I think I heard some stuff about people saving rhubarb for me next spring. The last bottles were a few months old when they were opened (I don't know how they lasted that long) and at that point you could tell it was fruity/citrusy, but if you weren't told it was rhubarb you might have trouble picking that out.

I would call this brew a success. While I haven't made any other saisons (closest I've made to this was a biere de garde with dry saison yeast that I didn't care for) I think that using 3724 was a good decision. I learned a little about brewing with a very different yeast strain than I am used to.

If I had to do it again I would have planned to give this an extra week in secondary before I wanted to bottle it, and *maybe* I would have made a very small starter for some dry saison yeast and pitched that a few days before I wanted to bottle, if I could do that without aerating it too much.

Barring a rhubarb shortage this spring, I'm making this one again.

Latest posts

Back