My crack at a keezer.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cgtweetfreed

Reaction score
After joining this site and seeing all the awesome builds people are posting I decided to take a crack at it. I've built other furniture for my house so my wife gave me the green light as long as it matches :cross:. Props to Lousy Smarch for his thread is the one I'm dissecting for instructions.

The freezer I bought off CL is 36-7/8" L by 22" D so that's where it starts. The base came out to 47-3/8" L and 25 1/4" D. The casters are 2" and the cross beams are secured 5" from the ends of the long boards. The bolts were a little long so I added 3/4" spacers for the casters.:

DSC00184.JPG

Side rails are 24-5/8" and front is 42-15/16". I added spacers in the front to keep the freezer 3" from the sides and 3/4" from the front of the enclosure for airflow (I may add fans later). Vertical beams are 22-3/4" and the top and side rails are same as bottom and center.

DSC00191.JPG

Gotta love the kreg jig! I also scabbed some scrap 3/4" material on the back vertical beams because they seemed a bit loosey-goosey.

DSC00193.JPG

I'm thinking of making this side a bit of a hatch to have access to the compressor controls for adjustments. Instead of an external temp controller setup, I opted to adjust the freezer's own thermostat. After a few days I got it to keep a liter of water at 38-40 degrees. Full of beer however, I may still need to fiddle with it.

DSC00197.JPG

Here's a one of the freezer sitting pretty. Have a trip to Germany :rockin: in a few days so have to stop spending money :cross:

DSC00198.JPG

Got the lid on. Needs automotive trunk shocks to support the weight but other than that it is ready to have the coffin designed/installed.

IMG_0029.jpg

IMG_0026.jpg

looks awesome, did you just replace the lid with the wood and then add weather stripping to seal it?

Nope, just sandwiched the lid between two pieces of 3/4" plywood. I cut off the plastic shell that was covering the inside foam first in the process of figuring out how to build up the lid.

I decided to re-engineer the hinge setup as the lid weighs almost 25 lbs now and the right hinge anchor was already looking like it would go. I also tried several solutions for keeping the lid up using shocks and hinge springs but they just kept lifting the freezer up in the frame. Now all the load of the lid will be in the frame and automotive trunk shock absorbers will actually work (granted I can find some with solid mounting hardware, and that don't make it impossible to close).

IMG_0030.jpg

Here's a pic of the top stained up with a dry fit of a faucet and my temp controller. I used an aniline dye instead of normal oil based stain because I used pine for the build and pine doesn't stain dark easily.

IMG_0008.jpg

Looking good!! Love the.LEDs did you use and opaque lexan? Be really cool if you could etch your bar logo into it and have it lit up. I'll be following your build.

Looking good!! Love the.LEDs did you use and opaque lexan? Be really cool if you could etch your bar logo into it and have it lit up. I'll be following your build.

Thanks! I just used those drop down ceiling light covers you can get at home depot. The etching would be cool.

I changed my temp controller setup so now I just have to fill the ugly rectangular hole for the old one. Luckily I have a coworker with a CnC machine and mad woodworking skills. 4 kegs and a CO2 bottle turn out to be a bit tight in this bad boy so I may have to get creative with tetrising it all in or else redesign it to raise the lid a few inches. Tile is all picked out just a matter of installation.

Latest posts

Back