My commercial coffee grinder...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gicts

Reaction score
I picked up a 1930's commercial coffee grinder with a dial for adjustments today at the antique shop. Better yet, it has even been converted to electric!

I have just perfected my corona mill and 5 gallon bucket collection but this may take the cake if I can get the grain big enough :)

Pics and my attempts at messing with it will come tomorow! Woohoo!

Anyone else played with one before?

Sounds really interesting. Can't wait to see what you come up with.

I'm assuming it's a burr grinder, correct?

Well, I am fairly new to crushing grain still, so I'm not certain just what I need.

Here was my new set up. Pretty simple and efficient. Just stuck a nut bolt in the turn handle and put a bag over it to catch all the flying grains.

Then I came across this yesterday. I was debating taking a risk on buying and seeing if it would work, then SWMBO slipped a sarcastic "What else are you going to do with the money? You sure aren't going to be spending it on me." I picked it up and went straight to the counter :rockin:

Sucker is big and heavy, probably 50 lbs

5 variable settings and a slide to stop the grain/coffee from coming down the hopper

Made in my hometown :mug:

The finest grain

The most coarse

Best kicker: Marked down to $50 from $380 (which it roughly what others are asking for the few I can find online)

So in your opinion is the grain too finely ground? Is it a decent $20 upgrade or should I keep it to just coffee use?
I'm kind of on the fence, but I think it may be fine to brew with. Like I said I am new to crushing my own and not certain as to what I am looking for.

It looks like on the most coarse setting you have a lot of intact hulls there. I would brew a batch or three and see what kind of efficiencies you get. If its too low then tighten the crack a little.

The coarse grind looks pretty good to me. You might try conditioning the malt. I think you will see a considerable improvement. I was expecting a much poorer grist out of the coffee mill. I think it will work just fine for you judging from the pics.

The coarse grind looks pretty good to me. You might try conditioning the malt. I think you will see a considerable improvement. I was expecting a much poorer grist out of the coffee mill. I think it will work just fine for you judging from the pics.

I'll give that a shot as well. Good idea.

I was disassembling it and cleaning and oiling it today. The grinding plates and overall design is very similar to that of my corona clone. Just two adjustable plates being fed from above. :mug:

What is with the big bold "Beer and wine only" all over the pails? Did the SWMBO use one before as a cleaning tool? Mine did that before and I had to nicely explain to her that she would not want to eat soup made in a toilet so why do I want my beer made in a wash bucket.

What is with the big bold "Beer and wine only" all over the pails? Did the SWMBO use one before as a cleaning tool? Mine did that before and I had to nicely explain to her that she would not want to eat soup made in a toilet so why do I want my beer made in a wash bucket.

Haha not yet, but I wouldn't put it past anyone around here to use an empty bucket for [insert any destructive action here].

A couple years ago someone used my 1 gallon primary for who knows what and scuffed it up pretty well. Since then I don't take any chances ;)

Back