My citric acid mild

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mfranzer

Reaction score
I just brewed a 2.5g mild and according to the brewersfriend calculator, I needed to add 3g of citric acid to my mash to lower my pH. I used citric because that is all my LHBS carried. Now I have a chemically citrusy mild (Hey, I hit all my numbers exactly though!!). I'm sure it was my own incomplete knowledge of my water chemistry and being over eager to build water. So, my question is. A) Is there any way to get rid of the citric twang, or will it go away after awhile? and B) If its pretty sour, is it ok to drink?

You say you hit all your numbers. Did you check pH? My dark mild doesn't require much of an acid addition. I don't use citric so I don't know if 3 grams is a lot. Sounds like a candidate for blending. If you bottle just drink on a night where you know you will be drinking 2.

I did use ph strips. I tested 5 or so and they didn't change color at all. A lot of reviews I checked on ph strips mentioned that they don't work very well, so I chalked it up to that. I guess a ph meter is my next purchase

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Latest posts

Back