my cider tastes like apple jolly ranchers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

microbiology

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

a cider that i made with 12 days in primary (OG 1.06) and 4 days in secondary FG 1.008) before cold crashing has a very green apple jolly rancher flavor. Its not bad but tastes kind of one dimensional when compared with the first batch of cider I made. I read a bit about malolactic fermentation but not sure how that is supposed to occur if my cider has been pasteurized to begin with.

Will this flavor chill out a bit over time if I bottle it and pasteurize or do the flavors only really change if its kept in the secondary at a temperature where the yeast can live. I don't really want to add sugar - it is sweet enough.

In hindsight , the cider that I started with tasted a bit green.

You can always add lactic acid and/or tannin to the cider to give it a more complex flavor and mouthfeel. Malolactic converts malic to lactic. So if you don't want to bother with the hassle in a finished cider, just dose it a drop at a time with the lactic acid until it rounds out to where you want it in a small sample and scale up.

Back