My chiller build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm working on a similar concept myself using an old 50' of ⅜" copper immersion coil that's cut every 2' or so and attached with tubing. This is to disassemble it and give the segments a good internal scrubbing with a long, thin bottle brush. A preliminary test of about a four gallon water boil and using 20 lbs of ice brought the temp down to about 65° or so before all the ice melted. I think that with 40-50 lbs of ice and replenishing as the melt drains out, I could chill a ten gallon batch down to 60-65° and use only 5-6 gallons worth of the "coolant" (40-50 lbs ice / 8.33 lbs per gal). An in-line thermometer with a liquid crystal sticker on it would inform me of the wort temp just before entering the fermentor. I could then adjust the temp by not replenishing fresh ice into the bucket and allowing the temp to rise to the desired pitching temp. I think this idea will work and am glad that someone else (you) have thought of it as well. Please keep me informed of the progress of your project, I'm very interested in the results.

Already built something similar to this using 25' of 3/8" copper and a home depot bucket.

chiller%20323_zpsi9ans4ot.jpg

Drilled 2x 7/8" holes with a step bit.
chiller%20351_zpsnc2n4lf4.jpg

chiller%20352_zpsbji4csxr.jpg

Support posts to keep coil spaced out under weight of ice/water for proper heat exchange.
chiller%20356_zpsikwihlm4.jpg

Threading the coil thru the holes in the supports.
chiller%20357_zps4m4xykcc.jpg

chiller%20358_zpsmfkwgc8h.jpg

chiller%20359_zps4qkj2ga4.jpg

Tube ends bent to align with holes in bucket.
chiller%20360_zpswfemeiww.jpg

chiller%20361_zps7twekotm.jpg

NTP compression fittings attached.
chiller%20362_zpssi7ttj6f.jpg

chiller%20363_zpsjwnkrhut.jpg

NTP hose barb threaded thru washer/bucket/another washer/into compression fitting.
chiller%20364_zpszuxcwyka.jpg

Leak test. When I use this for an actual batch, the wort will go directly into the FastFermenter.
chiller%20365_zpssd23gop5.jpg

Sorry, not trying to hi-jack. Just thought my pics might be helpful/give you some ideas.

So this is like a counter flow chiller without the counter flow? What is the end goal? I have always been leery to pass my wort thru something I can't see into.

I'm working on a similar concept myself using an old 50' of ⅜" copper immersion coil that's cut every 2' or so and attached with tubing. This is to disassemble it and give the segments a good internal scrubbing with a long, thin bottle brush. A preliminary test of about a four gallon water boil and using 20 lbs of ice brought the temp down to about 65° or so before all the ice melted. I think that with 40-50 lbs of ice and replenishing as the melt drains out, I could chill a ten gallon batch down to 60-65° and use only 5-6 gallons worth of the "coolant" (40-50 lbs ice / 8.33 lbs per gal). An in-line thermometer with a liquid crystal sticker on it would inform me of the wort temp just before entering the fermentor. I could then adjust the temp by not replenishing fresh ice into the bucket and allowing the temp to rise to the desired pitching temp. I think this idea will work and am glad that someone else (you) have thought of it as well. Please keep me informed of the progress of your project, I'm very interested in the results.

I will have pics posted when the stuff comes in and I build it. Sadly I just have shipping emails lol.

This is going to be gravity fed?

If you're trying to do one pass cooling, I'd look at a longer coil. Plan on using a lot of ice too.

Yes it's gravity fed but that's why I have a valve at the top. I can restrict the flow until I hit my proper temp.

It wasn't really that much work. If you don't count the time it took for the silicone to cure, it only took me like 2-2.5 hrs to assemble.

The supports I just cut from a 4ft piece and bent in my bench vise with a hammer. The longest/hardest part was threading the tubing thru the holes in the supports.

I put the ports thru the side of the bucket so I could keep the lid intact and remove it easily without having to worry about working around the tubing.

I haven't tested the efficiency yet, but I had the same idea you did about using the kettle valve to regulate the flow of wort and achieve the desired output temp for pitching.

When I do my first AG batch I'm gonna put this chiller thru its paces. I'm going to load it up with ice as much as possible and top it off with water. I'll get back to everyone as far as how well it worked, how long it took, how much ice was used, etc.

My thoughts exactly. With a valve on you should be able to regulate the flow. The ice and water should last a long while with a slow trickle. If it doesn't cool fast enough we have two options. Dump the chilled wort into the hot and keep going or add another 10' or so with a coupler and try again.

I'm excited to see the parts when they get in. Looking forward to the build.

How do you clean the inside of this chiller properly? I don't much care for the idea of a device I can't really physically clean since this is a vulnerable stage in the brewing process. I also don't think that this chiller is going to cool the wort down enough. I have to run 70 degree water through my chiller which is 25' of 3/8 copper for about 10 minutes minimum. I don't think a single pass through this thing is going to do the job, but maybe the ice water will help with that.

How do you clean the inside of this chiller properly? I don't much care for the idea of a device I can't really physically clean since this is a vulnerable stage in the brewing process. I also don't think that this chiller is going to cool the wort down enough. I have to run 70 degree water through my chiller which is 25' of 3/8 copper for about 10 minutes minimum. I don't think a single pass through this thing is going to do the job, but maybe the ice water will help with that.

You can run hot water through it

You can make a solution of the PBW and rinse that through

StarSan solution after that

Clean it the same way you clean a plate chiller.

You may be forgetting that the valve of the hot pot will allow me to drastically slow the flow rate of the hot wort.

Plus it is 1/2" copper and with proper spacing, the ice contact with the copper should be fine. I'll let you all know when I build it. My first run will be with hot water.

It wasn't really that much work. If you don't count the time it took for the silicone to cure, it only took me like 2-2.5 hrs to assemble.

The supports I just cut from a 4ft piece and bent in my bench vise with a hammer. The longest/hardest part was threading the tubing thru the holes in the supports.

I put the ports thru the side of the bucket so I could keep the lid intact and remove it easily without having to worry about working around the tubing.

I haven't tested the efficiency yet, but I had the same idea you did about using the kettle valve to regulate the flow of wort and achieve the desired output temp for pitching.

When I do my first AG batch I'm gonna put this chiller thru its paces. I'm going to load it up with ice as much as possible and top it off with water. I'll get back to everyone as far as how well it worked, how long it took, how much ice was used, etc.

So what's the metal you used to hold the coil. I plan to hit Lowes/HD to pick up a washer or two.

You can run hot water through it

You can make a solution of the PBW and rinse that through

StarSan solution after that

Clean it the same way you clean a plate chiller.

You may be forgetting that the valve of the hot pot will allow me to drastically slow the flow rate of the hot wort.

Plus it is 1/2" copper and with proper spacing, the ice contact with the copper should be fine. I'll let you all know when I build it. My first run will be with hot water.

Ah, I didn't think about the valve slowing it way down, that should do the trick. Just be sure to clean that baby out quickly after each use because if any gunk accumulates inside that thing it's going to be impossible to get out since you can't brush it clean.

:mug:

Ah, I didn't think about the valve slowing it way down, that should do the trick. Just be sure to clean that baby out quickly after each use because if any gunk accumulates inside that thing it's going to be impossible to get out since you can't brush it clean.

:mug:

Very true. I think I'll be investing in PBW to flush the system out when it's done.

Just a thought but it might be a good idea to add another valve on the bucket to drain the melted ice in case you need to add more and there's no room left. Not sure how much you'd go through to cool down a whole batch with that.

Just a thought but it might be a good idea to add another valve on the bucket to drain the melted ice in case you need to add more and there's no room left. Not sure how much you'd go through to cool down a whole batch with that.

That's a good idea but a racking came does the same thing. Rather use a tool then have to buy a lot more parts.

Although you could add the plastic bottling bucket tap or use a bottling bucket as your chiller. Not a bad idea lol. Too bad it wasn't suggested BEFORE I made a hole in my bucket hahaha. Good thinking. 🍺

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1426427380.547463.jpg

Ok so the setup worked great. No leaks on the cold test or the hot test. But a few notes were made after the first run.

1) when building use a bottling bucket. It's helps to drain the melted water out. (Now I have to add a spigot)

2) should have used a longer coil. 25' isn't long enough for the wort to be chilled on the initial run. As I started the cooling it was at 100* in the bucket. As I adjusted the flow I got it to come out below 60*. So the 100* wort is poured back into the pot and everything is great. I was able to reach 80* in the end so I figure with ferm temp control I'll be fine. Next time I'll pour the 100* wort back into the pot and continue the cooling and adjust the flow of it gets to cold.

3) the setup in the kitchen was nice but cramped. Might try moving somewhere else or make a simple wood stand for outside.

All in all it was a great project and I'll be using it for a long time to come.

Interesting. Think I need to do something similar. Currently I have to run my wort chiller until it gets down to about 100* then I submerge it into an ice bath. The water here in San Antonio is just not cold enough from the tap. During the summer it's not uncommon for the tap water to come out close to 80*

Ya I totally understand the water temp thing. It's the main reason I built this. All in all I really like the system. It fits my brew style. I'm going to do some minor adjustments and I think it will be perfect.

those support posts, what are they exactly, if I was to go looking for them, what name would I give the HD employee to help me find them?

thanks

I hooked a sump pump($40) from harbor freight up to my chiller. Put the pump in ice water. 8minutes to 70 degrees. I m going to add rock salt this week and see if that will chill it even faster

Are you using the sump pump submerged in the ice bucket to recirculate to/from an immersion chiller instead of constantly running tap water? If so, that is a great idea. You must be using a fraction of the water needed. 8 minutes for a 5 gallon batch to get to 70 is nice, can you get lower temps? Pics too if possible.

Last edited:
I put the pump in the huge brewpot on the left of the picture. Cover with ice and 3 gals of water. I don't put the return water back to the ice until it is cool(80ish) maybe a gal . I'm adding salt on Tuesday. It should drop the ice water solution to 14 degrees. I can't wait to see how fast it drops the temp.

I think the salt will be the way to get lower temps. I ran the pump an additional 15 minutes and the brew only dropped to 68.5. The ice was melted though. That's where the salt comes in.

Back