My Bucket's Got a Hole In It!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeardedBrews

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I've got a 1/8" hole near the bottom of my keggle that I'd like to plug. What would you use?

-B

You could possibly use a small stainless bolt with a silicone o-ring, nut and washer to make the seal.

I would use my debit card and buy a new one. I'd use the one with the hole as a bottling bucket. If you're insistent on plugging it maybe some JB weld.

I'd drill it out and add a whirlpool port or temperature probe port, as desired.

What do you mean, you don't need another temperature probe port? Sample port then...

There seems to be some confusion. In your header, you say "My bucket's...". In your post, you say your keggle. Can you clarify which 1 it is?

I would use my debit card and buy a new one.

This made me laugh!

I honestly considered just replacing the kettle as a solution to this issue and may still go that route. The small bolt/nut/silicone gasket is the approach I will probably take, but I was curious if there was something more permanent while still being easy.

I was a little cautious of the JB-Weld since it has to get hot and exposed to wort. I guess I could use a washer and JB-Weld it to the outside.

There seems to be some confusion. In your header, you say "My bucket's...". In your post, you say your keggle. Can you clarify which 1 it is?

Sorry, had the song in my head.

The hole is in the bottom of a keg (stainless steel) that has been converted into a boil kettle.

I agree with above. Either repurpose the hole for a sight glass, whirlpool port, temp probe, or if you want none of those, solder a stainless disk or piece of sheet over it. Really easy to do.

I would not use JB Weld as it is not good grade.

So many great bucket songs, I hadn't even thought about that one @WestMichBrewer.

I was heading more down these lines:
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMNLGxmjS3c[/ame]

I've seen jb weld used on plenty heat sticks that go into wort. I had a small pin hike in my kettle that I fixed with it. So far so good, no off flavors. It's non toxic and good to 600f.

It's got a PT-100 held in the hole with a wing-nut right now. I'm going to be switching from a through-wall probe to something in-line with the pump and I'll need to close the old hole.

I agree with above. Either repurpose the hole for a sight glass, whirlpool port, temp probe, or if you want none of those, solder a stainless disk or piece of sheet over it. Really easy to do.

I would not use JB Weld as it is not good grade.

I did some research and stand corrected. This is a ctrl c/v from another forum from JB weld customer service:

From JB Weld Customer Service:

We don't recommend using J-B Weld on anything that will come into contact
with food or liquids that you would consume. It is non-toxic after it fully
cures, but we don't any certifications from the FDA or NSF to say that J-B
Weld would be okay to use in that manner. Also, since J-B Weld is activated
by heat, we don't recommend that it be used on cooking appliances.

So if it were me I'd lean towards the mentions of welding a slug over the hole or a bolt and o-ring.

Latest posts

Back