My Brutus 10 stand

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poislb

Reaction score
Well after a year or so of planning I finally got her all tacked up. I will post the progress of the rest of the build, burner mounts, pumps...etc..

Im going to be installing 3 blichmann burners, 2 pumps and incorporate the blichmann tower of power single module to run my mash.

The stand is built from 2" carbon steel 16 gauge. Once complete I will put a clear high temp powder coat on it cause I like the raw look of the stand. Or I may PC it black, haven't totally decided yet.

It's basically a Brutus 10 stand with size modifications, I wanted to design it around my burners and keggles. I made the height at 19" and with casters it will be at 23". Once the keggles are on the total working height will be 46 3/4". I choose this height cause the top of the vessels with be right below cheast level, perfect for stirring and viewing. If anybody wold like the plans for there future build I would be more than happy to post all measurements. I also went with 45 degree corners on top just cause it looks cleaner. Cheers, pretty stoked to finally get this build going other than looking at it on paper.

image.jpg

Will be mounting this on the right side of the stand with some kinda arm and base plate.

image.jpg

All welded up..casters should be here in a few days.. Now it's time to mount the blichmann burners,plumbing,powder coat,pumps..ect, ect

image.jpg

I have the same caster inserts. Haven't installed yet - its been a long work in progress. My advice is really think about your burner mounting, and gas venting, particularly if you go low pressure propane or natural gas. It is something I am still trying to figure out. I mounted wind screens at 45 to each corner for the burners to mount to. Some of the gas needs to combust above the burner, so I had add risers to allow venting. Well then you have to think about that hot air, and flames if it's not burning clean - where that will escape so they don't melt your valves and sight tubes, etc. It sounds like you may just be mounting existing burner stands directly in? So maybe not an issue. Anyways, good luck - can't wait to see it come together!

Actually looks alot like mine: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/brewstand-build-467850/#post6050480

Just under 6 bucks per at California caster.. Probably the cheapest part of the build...lol

That's kinda crazy, yeah they look like twins..lol

I'm not doing any gussets, will mount the blichmann burner without the legs. It will be mounted with brackets I have to make about an inch down from the top. My theory is the gas will blow out the 4 exposed sides. I will snap a pic of what it will look like in a min.. But I know what your talking about, it has been a concern from day one on paper..

So this is what it will look once the blichmanns are installed. Just need to fab some mounts. Or just may weld some 1/2" nuts and bolt it on through the exsisting holes in the wind screen..

So with the vessels and casters looks like the whole thing will be 47.5" all said and done..

image.jpg

Does anyone for see any burner venting issues with the way they will be mounted. The 4 gaps should be enough correct? The burner will be mounted 1" down from the top, with the legs on the blichmann that's the height from the top of the windscreen to the bottom of a kettle..

my original build had those 4, 45 degree angles. now there's where I could see a problem with venting cause it would all be closed off from the kettles bottom suffocating the flame more less..

Any input would be great before I weld the burner brackets. I will also be drilling 3 new holes in the screen so I will be able to have the orifice end of the burners straight instead of tucked into the stand at a 45.

Thanks in advance..

Does anyone for see any burner venting issues with the way they will be mounted. The 4 gaps should be enough correct? The burner will be mounted 1" down from the top, with the legs on the blichmann that's the height from the top of the windscreen to the bottom of a kettle..

my original build had those 4, 45 degree angles. now there's where I could see a problem with venting cause it would all be closed off from the kettles bottom suffocating the flame more less..

Any input would be great before I weld the burner brackets. I will also be drilling 3 new holes in the screen so I will be able to have the orifice end of the burners straight instead of tucked into the stand at a 45.

Thanks in advance..

Are you using a high pressure or low pressure regulator? In my opinion, you'll have combustion problems with LP with that wind screen without putting spacers on top, just since I have been fighting this. But like you say, I have the 4 45 angles and maybe that seals it off more.

If at all possible, I would try to test fire it with a kettle - like bring 5 gallons to a boil - before welding.

It's the regulator that came with the blichmann burner, I assume it's high pressure.. will be a propane set up, don't have any plans to convert the orifice to NG..

I will be welding like an L bracket I think and tool out a groove so i I can very well adjust the burner height.. just trying to understand the whole venting gas thing. I would assume if you can blow on the flame and make em wave with the vessels on the stand it would provide enough airflow/ventilation correct?

I'm not a fan of choking off the flame like that, I think that the flame needs to breath but as the guy before me said, I am definitely no expert.

I would think in theory if ya can blow on the flame from the top opening it would have enough room for the gas to escape. Maybe I'm over thinking it.

Their are holes in the keg skirt's, fire will come out of those holes. And keep in mind where ever it's venting you can't have anything that will melt, like valves, or sight glasses, or hoses. When you heat the wort in the BK, is when your going to need the most heat.

Okay so I've been really thinking about the burner mounting. So I mocked up this using fire extinguisher brackets. The real ones will be fabed from SS with a slot on the side of the bracket to adjust the burner height. And this option will leave me plenty room for a gap to vent the gases. Also I won't even have to weld them on, the burners would just drop right in.. i will use like a 3/16" ss stock and a little thinner width to make them from..

Tacky or looks good?

1415745233928.jpg

1415745257511.jpg

And so did my switches for my pump control panel..The network switch i will be able to plug my TOP right into the panel instead of an outlet on the wall..

1415827614448.jpg

Have you tested your burner configuration yet? I'm close to the same point and was making the same assumptions about venting has (corners being sufficient). Was hoping to hear more before mounting my burners.

Todd

Have you tested your burner configuration yet? I'm close to the same point and was making the same assumptions about venting has (corners being sufficient). Was hoping to hear more before mounting my burners.

Todd

Not yet, maybe by this weekend cause it's suppose to warm up a bit..been like 15 degrees the last week..brrrrr

Not yet, holidays and kids got in the way...lol

I've decided to build another one in SS so in a few weeks or so will have that built and hopefully I can get everything mounted and finish putting stuff together..

Back