My beer is flat. More priming sugar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhinofarts

Reaction score
Hi,
I am using a keg similar in design to the keg pictured below. Even after waiting weeks for secondary fermentation to complete, I am getting totally flat beer... I am following the beer kit instructions to the T and adding the exact amount of sugar recommended for kegging... Which in this case was 2 1/2 UK Ounces... Can I add more sugar (I use cane sugar) to my next brew to ensure it gets more natural carbonation? Any suggestions, are very welcome...

Kind Regards,

Rhinofarts

king_keg_homebrew_barrel_bt.jpg

1) How long has it been sitting?
2) What is the volume in the keg?
3) Can you not get corn sugar?

type of sugar shouldnt matter much... are you sure that thing is absoloutely air tight? even a small/slow leak will totally prevent it from carbonating.

the type of sugar will result in a cider flavor if you are adding table sugar as your priming sugar - that is caused from an enzyme that the yeast create to break down 100% sucrose. It's where the argument of inverted sugar comes in. Unrelated to the carbonation but a reasonable question for sure.

The container is 4.7 UK gallons. It is airtight and I left it for a month, got a glass of beer out, bit of a pressurized sounding spurt from the nozzle, then nothing... I have always used cane sugar for for priming in bottles and been fine... Corn sugar isn't commercially available in Ireland. I am following the instructions to the letter. Still when kegged, I get flat beer.

Back