My beer exposed to air for a month!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zionoraca

Reaction score
So I am a complete idiot. I have a bourbon porter in a secondary it's been there for a month. I was looking at it today and my 3 peice airlock only had 2 peices on it. It was missing the peice in the middle that goes in the water to protect it from air. So basically it's been open to air for a month!

So the timeless question, Is my beer ruined? I'm assuming it has to be, but should I take the time to bottle anyway? Even if I do I feel like I'll never know what it was suppose to taste like.

Thanks

Could be ok. Air lock is a small hole and the beer is still producing some co2. It may be enough to keep the air out.

my bet is you're ok. take a sample and check it out. if it has a vinegar quality then you're out of luck.

You might get lucky too. I had one ferment out wild and bone dry, but it was quite tasty. Unless it tastes like vomit, someone will probably take it off your hands.

I may be wrong but I would assume that you're just peachy. Fermentation is creating co2 which is causing a higher pressure in the fermenter, so outside air cannot in. Even if the pressure isn't there co2 is heavier than air so there should be a nice cap over your brew.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

You're probably fine... Especially if you had small headspace in the carboy (it should always be filled to the neck for secondary).

I may be wrong but I would assume that you're just peachy. Fermentation is creating co2 which is causing a higher pressure in the fermenter, so outside air cannot in. Even if the pressure isn't there co2 is heavier than air so there should be a nice cap over your brew.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

Yes he's probably ok, however changes in barometric pressure as well as expansion and contraction due to temperature, will cause the vessel to "breathe". Also, gases diffuse, which is why we don't use an airlock on starters. The relative molecular weight of the gases is insignificant compared to particulates.

I have had infections from dry airlocks. I tossed a small batch wine just last week. I will also get wild yeast growing in a glass of beer left out in the open for more than a day. I once stepped it up and made a crazy funky saison with it that turned out quite nice. I still have four bottles I'm saving.

Latest posts

Back