My 6th batch of beer - may be a non-starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badclamz

Reaction score
After 5 successful 5g brews that have made me quite pleased, my 6th batch seems to have been my first mis-fire. I pretty much have used the same method - extract kits with liquid yeast, all from AHS. My latest, a Citra pale Ale all went well on brew day. I pitched the White Labs WLP051, which I have used twice before, and after almost 36 hours, I have no visible signs of fermentation.

I know I should continue to wait, but at hour 36 I'm quite concerned my yeast is not good. I vigorously aerated the wort. I used yeast fuel (AHS) and i pitched at 76 degrees F, and Im storing at about 70 deg F. I see no foam, no ring, no bubbles or signs of life. Do i re-pitch another vial of WLP051? The date on the vial i used was good thru Sep 2013.

Sucks because I really liked this recipe and I think I did some great things with the hops etc... Any advice appreciated

Do you take gravity measurements? Its the only way to gauge fermentation progress. I've had batches that have finished in less than 24 hours and I've missed all the signs, but a hydrometer reading showed me it was finished.

And of course, in hour #40, the bubbles started. Thanks im back off my ledge now

Back