My 1st Cider - Re-use Cream Ale Yeast Cake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brew69er

Reaction score
Hi I'm still a noob to the forum. I'm on my 7-8 batch of beer from using extract kits and mini mash kits and have had no issues! A friend of mine got me a Brewers Best Cream Ale kit for Christmas, which I just brewed up today!

I'm wanting to make a not too dry or too sweet, carbonated, bottle conditioned hard cider. I plan to use the recipe below which I stole from another thread:

Yeast cake from the Cream Ale (Nottingham - Dry Ale Yeast)
5 gallons of Apple juice with no preservatives 100% Juice (Sam's Choice Brand, Walmart)
2 lbs. of Brown sugar
2 cans of frozen apple juice conentrate

I plan to move the Cream Ale to a secondary and add all the above ingredients to my 6.5 gallon Carboy w/ the old yeast cake in place. Shake the crap out of it and top carboy w/ a sterile airlock. Ferment out in primary or move to a secondary (I do have spares)? When ready to bottle I wanna back sweeten w/ Splenda and add Corn Sugar to carbonate like beer. How muck Splenda should I use to back sweeten and how much Corn Sugar to carbonate (or maybe brown sugar?)

What are the flaws in my plan? This is my 1st attempt to re-use yeast. I know I can purchase yeast but I want to attempt to reuse the yeast cake for fun.

Thank you!

Take what I have as a grain of salt and weigh it out with your own findings but here is my opinion on the subject of "flaws" in your plan.

1. Depends on the OG and FG of your cream ale. It's not recommended to reuse yeast if you go over 6.5% ABV due to yeast stress and mutations.

2. Artificial Sweetener. I personally prefer to add just the corn sugar / brown sugar and then pasteurize the bottles once carbonated. Check the sticky on proper methods.

3. Carbonation Level. TastyBrew.com | Homebrewing Calculators | Botting Priming Calculator Depends on what beer you want to base your carbonation level on. Pretty sweet calculator.

Back