Mxing yeast and bugs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dackerm

Reaction score
I was thinking about making a funk american ipa and I was wondering if I would have any problems mixing san diego super and sour mix in the primary?

I was thinking about pitching the sour mix after the san deigo super was almost done but i wanted to leave something for the sour mix to work with. Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I recommend asking this in the Lambic forum, but I don't know of any reason why this would not work. When you pitch your bugs makes a difference for how sour your beer will get, and some folks feel that the strain of primary yeast has an effect on the overall complexity of the beer, but neither of those things precludes doing this.

I would not do that. bitter & sour do not go well together, plus IPA level of IBUs/ABV would inhibit the lacto and all your souring would be dependent on pedio, which means itd be very slow. if you want to try this, i'd recommend not doing a bittering charge and just using late hops, keeping the IBUs low like <15, and pitching the sour mix from the start as it includes yeast in it to begin with so theres no need for a primary strain. I've done something similar twice now and it works quite well

Back