Must visit breweries in California

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

creativefish

Reaction score
Hey all -

A family wedding will have me and the family headed to California this summer. My wife is super excited to have an excuse to spend some time in Sonoma wine country, but I’m more excited for the beer scene. After the wedding we will be taking off ok highway one to see the sights up the coast. Any suggestions for breweries that shouldn’t be missed in the area? We will fly into and out of Oakland.

Thanks in advance!

-josh

Definitely hit up Fieldwork in Berkeley.

In the Sonoma area, in addition to Russian River, the main Lagunitas taproom is worth a visit just for the atmosphere.

I also really liked Woodfour in Sebastopol.

People like Drake's, but it didn't do anything for me.

Thanks everyone. Definitely appreciate the ideas so far.

In the Sonoma area, in addition to Russian River, the main Lagunitas taproom is worth a visit just for the atmosphere.

I also really liked Woodfour in Sebastopol.

People like Drake's, but it didn't do anything for me.

I’ll put Russian River on the list. Being from Kansas, I’ve not had a single one of their beers.

Lagunitas IPA was one of my gateway beers, so probably better go check it out. Plus the wife loves Heineken ;)

Ten Mile Brewing Company in Long Beach. Try the Kentucky Common! But don't wake the neighbors across the street.

Had me confused for a second on the neighbor thing. Thank goodness for google maps to shed some light on that one!:D

The current plan is to make our way all the way up to Oregon to visit Caldera Brewing, so we’re planning to put some miles on the rental car.

Promised the kiddo some redwood trees and hiking fun. So letting him see the sights and sounds will be the highlight of the trip for us for sure, but the beer tourism will sure be a nice bonus for me!

I’ll do some looking at some of the other breweries y’all mentioned. Some new ones for me with Woodfour and Port O Pints!

Go to Mendocino for some ocean chill time. It will feed your soul.
Very small town on the Pacific Coast.

Russian River is definitely a destination brewery. Try to go early on a weekday afternoon, if you can--it gets insanely busy in the evening and on weekends. Lagunitas is great for the atmosphere, though it gets crazy, too. It's way, way out of the way, but North Coast Brewing in Fort Bragg is also fantastic and the scenery in the area is stunning.

My wife and I live in the Portland area and drove down 101/1 a few years back and hit up so many good breweries on the trip, it's hard to remember them all, but they were all worth it. The small brewery scene in San Francisco is really developing, too. You really can't go wrong.

Echoing the recommendations for Russian River (do the FULL sampler, 20 beers).
Lagunitas for the atmosphere.
HenHouse (taproom, nothing special in terms of atmoshpere) but literally across the street from Lagunitas and really good beers.
Faction in Alameda for the experience, views and beers.
If you can get further South to Monterey....Alvarado Street Brewery should not be missed.

Latest posts

Back