Frederick, MD Breweries

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IPAndy

Reaction score
As a resident of Frederick, Maryland for the last seven years, I've watched the brewing scene in this town grow exponentially, and it's still growing! I can't believe how many breweries have popped up in just the time I've been here, and from what I've read and heard, it's only growing. Here's a short list of what I've come across recently (probably not a complete list, but I'll add to it as time goes on):
  • Flying Dog. These guys are the biggest in the area, and are only getting bigger. Their brewery is already a good-sized operation in an industrial park off of New Design Road, but they announced plans late last year to build a new 185K sq. ft. brewery near the local municipal airport. I think they're looking to do something in the area of 750K bbl. It'll be a regional destination for sure!
  • Barley & Hops. A local nanobrew near Monocacy National Battlefield, I love the beers these guys make. While they love experimenting w/hop-forward beers, some of their staples have a distinctive German influence. If you're fortunate to be part of their Mug Club (membership is limited, free pint of new brews on tap days, and 20 ounce pours for the price of regular pints), jump on it!
  • Monocacy Brewing/Brewer's Alley. Brewery's Alley is located in the heart of downtown Frederick in the old City Hall building. They used to brew all their beer on site, until several years ago when they partnered w/the local homebrew shop - The Flying Barrel - to turn the old ice cream factory on North Market Street into a production brewery and homebrew store. They called their operation Monocacy Brewing Company, and while something like 80% of their beers go to Brewer's Alley (lots of good staples w/a British influence), they do their own brews as well. They've got four staples and a rotating roster of 'Blank Slate' experimental brews. A must to check out!
  • Olde Mother Brewing. Their brewing setup is mostly homemade, but it does the job REALLY well. They debuted w/two sours on the menu (both really good) when they first opened, they love doing experimental brews, and have already done collaborations with local distilleries. I absolutely love visiting this place.
  • Attaboy Beer. One of the newer breweries in Frederick, it popped up on the canal late last year. Only been there twice so far, but they've got some very relaxing brews, and the first Grisette I ever had. Not too hoppy, but not too malty.
  • Rockwell Brewing. They're brand new, and I've only been there once, but I like where they're heading. The staples seem pretty standard, and for the most part, I felt they nailed them. Waiting to see what they have seasonals & short-run releases.
From what I gather, Midnight Run Brewing is another one that's just around the corner. I think I heard them say they were planning a summer 2017 opening, so I'm looking forward to that.

There are some others as well, but they're outside of the city of Frederick, like Mad Science, Milkhouse, and Red Shedman. I'll mention them in a later post if anyone's interested.

I don't get to Frederick as often as I used to. I wasn't aware of Ataboy or Rockwell. I live in Greencastle,PA which is a couple miles north of Hagerstown. If you are up this way, Cushwa in Williamsport is worth visiting and Gearhouse in Chambersburg.

Only been in the area for 2 1/2 years, Frederick isn't too far us in Eldersburg/Sykesville LOVE Barley & Hops and Brewer's Alley - always a toss-up which of the two to go to. Still need to check out Old Mother. Love the farmhouse breweries in the area - Milkhouse and Red Shedman, both great places to go.

I don't get to Frederick as often as I used to. I wasn't aware of Ataboy or Rockwell. I live in Greencastle,PA which is a couple miles north of Hagerstown. If you are up this way, Cushwa in Williamsport is worth visiting and Gearhouse in Chambersburg.

I definitely will! I just learned of Cushwa recently, so I'm gonna have to make a trip to Williamsport one of these days. As for Hagerstown, I haven't been to Antietam Brewing in a while, but I heard they were opening an independent location soon (if not already). I love the German influence of their beers.

Only been in the area for 2 1/2 years, Frederick isn't too far us in Eldersburg/Sykesville LOVE Barley & Hops and Brewer's Alley - always a toss-up which of the two to go to. Still need to check out Old Mother. Love the farmhouse breweries in the area - Milkhouse and Red Shedman, both great places to go.

I guess I'll have to do a write-up of the farm breweries then! :mug:

Back