Mushrooms growing in yard

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treacheroustexan

Reaction score
Looking for some insight! I bought my house in the fall of last year and didn't had this issue.. Now this summer, we have had mushrooms popping up in a small section of our front yard as the sun sets. Usually 5-10 at a time. I pick them right away and used over the counter spray stuff from Lowe's a couple times. That works for a week or so then they start popping back up in the same area. Any idea what I can do now to prevent them from coming back for good? And any idea what kind these are? Just curious! Pictureed from a few I found this morning when I woke up.
IMG_1514.jpeg

Probably a decaying stump under your turf. Spores are notoriously difficult to destroy, so I doubt pouring chemicals will help. They usually pop up in wet areas but unless you have a drainage problem, probably not much you can remedy.....

All I know is you need to kill the underground mycelium to prevent them from growing and propagating. The mushrooms you see, the parts that grow above ground, are just the reproductive systems. There are spores in the gills, under the hood.

The mychorizal fibers that make up the majority of the organism can be intermingled in the soil in large area. In fact, the largest organism on earth is thought to and interconnected fungus that is under much of Michigan's upper peninsula. I agree yours is likely to be consuming remnants of buried stump or dead roots under lawn, but could be from a larger buried soil horizon, depending on how the land you are on was developed.

They are part of the carbon cycle and often quite beneficial to soil heath and the nutrition of nearby plants. Many professional planting mixes intentionally include living fungus, it benefits micro and macro plant nutrient availability. If you are concerned about a child eating them or something, just remove the above ground mushrooms from lawn.

Don't know the ID on that one,, but I would not eat it. Geesh, I came up here to look up a hop variety, got to get back to my brew.

As others have said, it’s from an old tree or its roots decaying. Nothing to do except wait for nature to take its course. I have it way worse from a tree removed 8 years ago in a shady section of the lawn.

Look to see if they’re eatable.

Tonight is NY strip with onions and mushrooms with a side of roasted potatoes and carrots. Unfortunately mushroom hunting was not good here in the lower this year.

You might use a pitchfork to poke some holes in the turf for makeshift aeration & maybe combine that with decreasing the amount of water applied in that area. It works on fairy rings.
Regards, GF.

I guess you have more free time than I do. Why not just ignore the mushrooms and have a homebrew instead?
They're not hurting anything out there in the grass.
Just think of them as a temporary decoration.

I got the same thing happening in my front yard this year. I just see if I can kick them into the street whenever they pop up.

Why to try to stop them? They are good for the soil your lawn is planted in, no reason remove unless there is a hungry toddler running around in your yard. If you are concerned about their appearance, maybe lop them off with an old golf club or something.

Why to try to stop them? They are good for the soil your lawn is planted in, no reason remove unless there is a hungry toddler running around in your yard. If you are concerned about their appearance, maybe lop them off with an old golf club or something.
Of course kicking them or lopping them off with a golf club helps spread their spores, the primary purpose of the above-ground growth.
Unless they're a toxic variety, just learn to live with them as they play a role in conditioning the soil for your lawn.

Back