The Mushroom Growing Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really like this bottle fruiting method. Maybe wide-mouth mason jars for oysters, adapted to work with pasteurized hardwood pellets?

Fabulous cook, I've been seriously blessed since 1976.
fwiw, the commercial mushroom & beef blend didn't kill me ;) but it just didn't do anything for us.
Flavor wasn't bad but wasn't encouraging, either, and the texture needs getting used to vs eg: ground chuck.

Cheers (and sorry for the interruption)

I remember cube steak and ways to make the most of it.
But I can't remember the last time I saw it in a grocery. Might be a specialty thing now?
Anyway...way OT. I'm out...

Cheers!

I've upped my game, current prefered method is directly injecting liquid mycelum into sterilised substrate bags. Works well with lions mane, oyster, chestnut and maitake. Does not work well with Piopino somehow.

Spent grains are an ideal substrate btw! Additionally some partially hydrated hardwood pellets and the fungi are happy!

I tried my second go at the Oysters in a bucket, and I got nothing. Last year it started out well and then dried up.

I think my spawn was kept too long before inoculating. I did the same hot water and same brand/kind of wood chips.

Now the bucket is full of blue fuzzy mold :(

I tried my second go at the Oysters in a bucket, and I got nothing. Last year it started out well and then dried up.

I think my spawn was kept too long before inoculating. I did the same hot water and same brand/kind of wood chips.

Now the bucket is full of blue fuzzy mold :(
If you wanna be succesfull with unsterilised methods, you really need to have at least 1/4 of the substrate as spawn, the spawn must be most vital, tempereatures must be right, water content must be right (err on the low side, too much attracts everything but mushrooms) and once it is fruiting time, co2 levels and humidity must be right. Cut one corner short and you will most likely grow mold.

Anybody know what these are? I found them growing in the grass...

20230826_150351.jpg

If you wanna be succesfull with unsterilised methods, you really need to have at least 1/4 of the substrate as spawn, the spawn must be most vital, tempereatures must be right, water content must be right (err on the low side, too much attracts everything but mushrooms) and once it is fruiting time, co2 levels and humidity must be right. Cut one corner short and you will most likely grow mold.

Last year I got everything to fruit but then died off. I took a step back this year . . .

Sounds like i got everything too wet. The bucket was sopping wet.

I don't really even like mushrooms that much, but I'm still intrigued by the process.

Thanks for the wise words.

Last year I got everything to fruit but then died off. I took a step back this year . . .

Sounds like i got everything too wet. The bucket was sopping wet.

I don't really even like mushrooms that much, but I'm still intrigued by the process.

Thanks for the wise words.
In a bucket it is actually really simple to get the water content right, just poke multiple holes in the bottom so taht excess water can flow off, that's it!

Today I just inocculated two all in 1 bags with piopino and I am sterilising 7 jars of grains and whatnots for spawn production :). Never did all in one before but it sounds promising. Basically in one corner of the bag keep some grains and fill the rest with substrate, sterilise everything. After that, inocculate only the grains, wait till mostly colonised and then shake the bag and distribute the grains. This way, you do not have to open the bag and can stay sterile. Only opening is with a syringe to inject liquid mycelium. A drop of silicone on that spot prior to pointing it with the needle makes a self healing injection port. Very low contamination risk with this method.

Latest posts

Back