Muscato recommendations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marc1

Reaction score
My wife likes the sparkling sweet muscatos. Fresh juice is becoming available soon, so I'd like to ferment some out, keg it up, and carbonate it for her.
It's been about 10 years or so since I've made grape or fruit wine, and several years since I've made a batch of Skeeter Pee, so I'd like some recommendations on how to proceed.

My plan so far is:
1) Ferment out, racking a couple few times
2) stabilize w/sorbate
3) Backsweeten
4) Keg, carb, and serve

Any recommended yeasts?
How about tips on process, or something else I might be missing? Anything changed much in the last decade as far as general wisdom of winemaking?

Thanks!

My wife likes the sparkling sweet muscatos. Fresh juice is becoming available soon, so I'd like to ferment some out, keg it up, and carbonate it for her.
It's been about 10 years or so since I've made grape or fruit wine, and several years since I've made a batch of Skeeter Pee, so I'd like some recommendations on how to proceed.

My plan so far is:
1) Ferment out, racking a couple few times
2) stabilize w/sorbate
3) Backsweeten
4) Keg, carb, and serve

Any recommended yeasts?
How about tips on process, or something else I might be missing? Anything changed much in the last decade as far as general wisdom of winemaking?

Thanks!

That is exactly it! In fact, I have a moscato on tap right now that was backsweetened, then kegged and carbed (40psi). It's a real treat!

I also filtered it with a sterile filter to make it very clear.

You made me go out there and get a glass! It's been on tap almost a year (nobody drinks it, really). I made it for last Thanksgiving.

Still excellent.

1598134455197.png

That is exactly it! In fact, I have a moscato on tap right now that was backsweetened, then kegged and carbed (40psi). It's a real treat!

I also filtered it with a sterile filter to make it very clear.
Do you have a yeast recommendation?

It's as good as it looks. My wife's a non-drinker, which is why it's still on tap.

I bought a moscato kit. I used the yeast that came with, probably the same yeast that comes with all of them, don't remember.

Forgive me my lack of detail: I'm mostly a beer drinker - I make the wines for others.

Back