Murphy's Law strikes again...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewing Clamper

Reaction score
Just over a week ago I had a PM brew session that was plagued with problems. I had trouble with my thermometer in my MLT, I had trouble with my false bottom on the MLT, the screen on my keggle, cooling the wort fast enough... just a ton of crap. What should have been a 3 hour process took nearly 5. Anyway, I was cleaning up some stuff today getting things ready for tomorrow's brew when I noticed a container of malt extract. I could not remember when I bought it or what I bought it for... then it hit me... I never put the extract in my previous PM boil. So now I have a beer in the fermenter with an OG of around 1.025. Not quite up to oatmeal stout standards... live and learn...

You might consider adding the extract now. I mean, it is still in primary so you should still have viable yeast. It is not the most sanitary thing to just dump extract in, but I know that if it was me, I wouldnt want to drink an oatmeal stout with an OG or 1.025, so it would be worth the risk for me.

Live and learn though...love your hydrometer.

cubbies said:
Live and learn though...love your hydrometer.

Yeah, that's the funniest part of all, I have a pretty good beer log of every single beer I've made. That was the first one I did not write down or take a hydro reading for... man that blows... :eek:

I would boil the extract in as little water as possible for a while, cool, and put in the primary. There will be viable yeast and they are very much alive in there and should go to town and finish up fermenting the extract sugars.

The beer will be a little more dilute than your original OG estimate (let's assume 1.050) for the beer due to the little bit of water I think you'll need to boil the extract in (maybe 1/2g to 1g), but a 1.042 or so beer (spitballing numbers here but you get the point) is WAY better than a 1.025...

EDIT: Not sure, but I think I would also be careful as possible adding the extract to oxygenate as little as possible. It's a little bit of a conundrum b/c you want your yeast to have some oxygen to start working away again, but then you also have an already fermented 1.025 beer in there, so you don't want to aerate that much. Not sure what to think on this, but anything HAS to be better than a 1.025 beer, right? I'd lean towards the fact that you have plenty of viable yeast in there even without oxygen for reproduction, so I'd keep O2 to a minimum...

I think it just took you five hours to make a big ol' starter for the PM oatmeal stout you will should make in a couple days. The good news is that you already have the extract.

TL

TexLaw said:
I think it just took you five hours to make a big ol' starter for the PM oatmeal stout you will should make in a couple days. The good news is that you already have the extract.

TL

Funny, that's what the SWMBO said. I'll do that, other than my time, I only used up about $6 worth of grain. Again, live and learn...

Back