Muntons Yeasts - Experiences?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonpecan

Reaction score
I've tried searching the threads (and maybe someone will point out that this has already been discussed in detail elsewhere), but I'm trying to get some accounts of how people have had success or sob stories with Muntons yeasts.

I keep randomly acquiring packs of Muntons yeasts, and from what I've read I'm generally hesitant to use them. I've avoided it thus far. Why risk a 5 gallon batch if there are doubts? I'm sure it will make beer, but I've stumbled upon enough posts either sounding negative or just indicating that nobody knows much about how well they work.

So... anyone with experiences with "Muntons Active Brewing Yeast"?
Or with "Muntons Premium Gold Yeast"?

I've read on Munton's web site that the standard is good for recipes "demanding the use of sugar" and that the premium gold is better for all-grain, according to them.

Any insight appreciated. Thanks!

I've only heard the "horror stores" of Munton's- never anything good. I think the problem comes with the yeast strain's inability to ferment the sugars from malt sugar well. It does fine with simple sugars, according to their own website, but most of us use malt in our beer.

The Munton's Gold is supposed to be better, but I never had the guts to try it.

The packages are too small so for my money I just buy a better strain since I'd need two packages of the Munton's to make one up the amount of yeast in one package of Nottingham anyway.

I used a pack of Munton's for my first Dry Irish stout. There is definitely more of an off taste in that batch compared to the other batches that Ive done with S-05, S-04, or liquid yeast varieties I've used. Even after 3 months, it's still in the background...Though I'm certainly no expert, I would say that getting a dry with more positive reviews (depending on what you want in your brew though these are all fairly neutral flavor contributors: notty's, s-04, or s-05) or even doing liquid with a starter if you can, would be better...

I made a strong ale/barley wine with muntons gold and i have no complaints.Cant say if thats a fair way to compare it as its my strongest beer ive made a 1.09 that ended 1.022- so i would say that it did ok, i would have to make a pale ale with it to really compare it. i made a double rye ale with coopers also that is turning out good but still young. Only used it once and the strong ale is turning out better every month like it should.
Ive only heard stay away from the muntons,but get muntons gold.Try it out yourself you may like it but in generall it doenst have a reputation for a better quality yeast.I plan on using it again sometime,same thing with the coopers ale yeast.People may have had bad expereinces with it once and decided,nope! i would try it twice before i made that call unless it was putrid and a spitback dumpper or something.

I used a pack of Munton's for my first Dry Irish stout. There is definitely more of an off taste in that batch compared to the other batches that Ive done with S-05, S-04, or liquid yeast varieties I've used. Even after 3 months, it's still in the background...Though I'm certainly no expert, I would say that getting a dry with more positive reviews (depending on what you want in your brew though these are all fairly neutral flavor contributors: notty's, s-04, or s-05) or even doing liquid with a starter if you can, would be better...

What temp did you ferment it? The only very recognizable off-taste ive really noticed was doing a cali-common with s-23 and its max reccomended ferment was 68 and i was in the 69 rage so im going to try that one again in the mid-low 60's next time i use it,or another lager.

I fermented between 68-70... I know the packet said up to 75... but I wasn't sure were to keep it so I just did mid range (one of my first brews). I just assumed I might have stressed out the yeast through higher temps and under pitching and voila! The esters and mild fusels have settled over time but there is just some other off taste that I don't have in my other brews.
Though I never used it, I bet the gold is better. Honestly, I just didn't want to spend another $30-40 for a kit, use that specific yeast, and have it have that taste again so I never tried it again. I've gone to yeast washing, all grain, and started a collection of a bunch of yeasts so I don't know that I'll ever give it another go but I've heard/read far fewer complaints about the gold than just the straight up that I used. Good luck!

The main strike against it is the small packet, 7g as I recall vs. 11g or so for the other brands. My one use turned out poorly so I never used the other pack I had. Go with Fermentis US05 or 04, or Danstar Notty.

Maybe you "need" to use sugar with the plains muntons to make it turn out then since it specifies it for that yeast,i wonder if its good that way then?

I actuall ywant to get the 6g packet,its good for doing small batches and you dont have to reseal it and worry about contamination/storage for reusage rather than having a larger packet.

I've used Munton's Premium Gold on my last few batches. None of them are complete, but I hope for the best. This yeast reviewed well on some brewing store websites. I think it was okay for my fermenting temp too (60-64 degrees).

I ended up using the muntons gold for the first time with a english barleywine, it is ok i just think i could have done better maybe made a starter or used more. I thought it had a dry woody kind of presence for a yeast.I dont think i should have used it on this style of beer though although it is a pretty good beer as it ages. I just wish i bittered it more along with a few other tweaks. I think it would be fine with some styles.Maybe a limited few,but that is just my opinion

I use the Gold on a chocolate stout recipe and I always get a final gravity of 1.011 or 1.012 with (1) 6 gr packet and 5 or 6 days in the primary and 14 days in the secondary. I am however looking for a slightly sweet finish to compliment the chocolate malt and the Gold matches up nicely. I use about 50/50 DME and grains. Used a Nottingham the last time because my local supply house stopped carrying the Gold and I was not happy.

I use the Gold on a chocolate stout recipe and I always get a final gravity of 1.011 or 1.012 with (1) 6 gr packet and 5 or 6 days in the primary and 14 days in the secondary. I am however looking for a slightly sweet finish to compliment the chocolate malt and the Gold matches up nicely. I use about 50/50 DME and grains. Used a Nottingham the last time because my local supply house stopped carrying the Gold and I was not happy.

what did you max out og at to get 1.011 with 1 packet?

Back