Muntons Carb Tabs??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use them. I find they are alot more consistant than using priming sugar. Just my take. I know guys say they don't have problems with priming sugar, but these have worked great for me.

I have used priming sugar, dme and carb tablets. I mostly use the tabs when I want to carb my ciders. I like that I can very the volumes of Co2 in my brews. The tablets are a staple in my brewhaus.

I keg my beer, but often have a little left over. The tabs are a perfect way to carb a few bottles.

I'm not a fan of the carb tabs, but I like the coopers carb drops (the ones that look like candy). The carb tabs may not break down all the way and leave floating bits suspended in your beer. They carb up ok, but I've had problems with them not dissolving completely. Maybe other's have had better experience that me.

I've had mixed results. I think I've used the Munton's four times total - two perfectly carbed batches, one well-carbed batch with little white floaties, one under-carbed batch with little white floaties.

All four beers were moderate-gravity brews. The last one (no carb with floaties), is JZ's pale ale recipe with all Sterling hops. I've actually had a little success in rescuing the batch by adding some champagne yeast to a few bottles.

But I still have floaties.

I'm not a fan of the carb tabs, but I like the coopers carb drops (the ones that look like candy). The carb tabs may not break down all the way and leave floating bits suspended in your beer. They carb up ok, but I've had problems with them not dissolving completely. Maybe other's have had better experience that me.

I experienced this the first (and last) time I ever used Munton's Carb Tabs. I like how you can adjust for a non-12 ounce bottle since they are small, unlike the Cooper's which is one-size-fits-all. But I bought a bottling bucket after my first batch of beer with floaties.

Back