Munich malt in Begian Wit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewgrl

Reaction score
Hey,
I've been poking around books and forums looking at wit recipes, and I've noticed that a lot of recipes have about 10% munich. Does anyone know what this contributes? Is it stylistically typical? How much does it darken the beer??
Cheers!!
:mug:

In a Saison it would be OK but it'd push a Wit out of style.. A Wit should be tart, light, and dry, while the Munich malt will make it darker, maltier and bready. Wit should be about 50% 2-row or Pilsner and 50% unmalted wheat. Some recipes like mine also include a small % of flaked oats which contribute a toast character and mouthfeel without making the beer malty.

Thanks for the response, Saccharomyces, you rocked the last thread I put up too!
Regarding the Munich, that's pretty much what I was thinking.
Do you (or anyone else?) know of any good books/websites that accurately describe the flavor profiles of various malts? Or do you mostly pick stuff up from experience? I have Designing Great Beers, which is basically just stats on competition winners, and Radical Brewing, which has one tiny table, but otherwise, not much happening in my library at least.
Thanks!

in a byo style profile from around a year ago, jamil said that some munich in a wit would be a nice addition, but it was a pretty small percentage of the grist. as long as you kept it to around 4-8 oz for a 5-gallon batch, you should notice just the slightest nuttiness flavor. should be nice

I used 4 oz. Aromatic in my wit. I loved it. I like the dry tartness but am not crazy about the blandness of some wit's. Who cares if it is not perfectly to style.

Back