Multiple element e-HERMS system

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bucksnort999

Reaction score
I am working on a panel similar to a design P-J posted (BCS-460-wiring-2-4-c.jpg) 10/17/2011. I am incorporating a BCS-462 controller and putting 2 5500W elements in each of the HLT and BK to shorten cycle time on the 30 gal kettles. In order to keep the total load to less 60A 220v, I am trying to modify the controls to only permit 2 elements to fire at a time. I can build the logic in the BCS to control that scenario but would have to double the circuitry to accommodate 4 individual elements. Each of those elements would have a manual control and would just need to be smart enough to not engage more than 2 at a time.
I know P-J has been very gracious in providing input to HBT and don't want to ask for help until I have given it my best shot.
Does anyone know if there is an existing design or something like that on the forum?
Does anyone know if P-J has a design like that?

I also don't want to overstep his wishes. has anyone used his drawings and modified them?

The manual option would be a 3-way maintained selector switch (2xNO, XB2BD33 about $3 on ebay) that selects between HLT+HLT, BK+HTL, BK+BK. Each NO contact selects between HLT and BK.

Latest posts

Back