Multiple dry hop additions = oxidized.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adaman05

Reaction score
The last IPA I brewed, I did a massive, two-stage dry hop. First dry hop in the primary, then racked off the yeast/hops and into secondary for second dry hop. It was oxidized. Yesterday I brewed up a Double Jack clone, and it was probably the most seamless brew day to date. 20 minute whirlpool, 60 seconds of oxygen, and away we go. This recipe calls for a 4 stage dry hop. I no longer have a kegging setup, otherwise I would secondary in the keg and flush with CO2. What options do I have to do this multiple dry hop without oxidizing the beer? Split into two dry hops, and keeping it in primary? Dry hop all at once?

Any help will be appreciated!

I dont know if you are using cones or pellets but if youre using cones..stop (imho). use a larger charge of hops a couple gravity points before teminal so the yeast can use up the oxygen from the hops. also swirl the fermenter to keep the hops in suspension. good luck and cheers!

You can put your hops in a big jar that you purged with co2 the day before adding them.

I dont know if you are using cones or pellets but if youre using cones..stop (imho). use a larger charge of hops a couple gravity points before teminal so the yeast can use up the oxygen from the hops. also swirl the fermenter to keep the hops in suspension. good luck and cheers!

Yeah, I'm using pellets and my first addition will go in on day 3, ~1.020 or so. I guess I'll just split it into two additions, rather than the 4.

I don't have the option to use CO2 with a jar.

Latest posts

Back