Multiple Blow Off Tubes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TR34TM3NT

Reaction score
Sorry if this has already beed asked, I didn't see it when doing a search.

I've recently switched to only using blow off tubes, but sometimes I have multiple batches fermenting at once.

Is it safe for me to feed all of the blow off tubes into one bucket of sanitized water, or is there too much risk of cross contamination?

I've never done this before and I would probably avoid it. Just in case of some suck back.

When your batches are done with the rapid fermentation process, you should really switch to a standard air lock to prevent this suck back. As your beer stops fermenting as strong you can have some of the blow off junk (or starsan even) sucked back in- just asking for contamination. This might free up your bucket for another batch

I keep hearing about suck back. I keep my blow off jar as low as the bottom of the fermenter or lower if possible and have never seen anything rise in the tube.

It would take a huge change in pressure to lift the blowoff water that high.

Just for safety though I would use 2 jars of sanitizer in case they overflow and put them in the same bucket.

I almost always ferment two batches at the same time and i always feed both blowoff tubes into the same growler filled with starsan. Never have I seen suckback that would get remotely close to getting back into the bucket nor have I had any contamination issues. I would say you are fine to use one vessel.

The only time I've ever had suckback was once changing an airlock. I can't imagine a temp change that would draw water up a 3'+ tube. Cross contaminations probably not your risk, it's overflowing the blowoff container. I do this all the time without problems.

You are absolutely fine. I ferment 2-3 batches at a time this way. IF you get suck back it will just be sanitized water, no harm in that. My theory goes if wild yeast can get into the bucket and not cause any problems then I dont see any reason that brewers yeast would have any adverse effects. Just my .02

If you don't want to use airlocks, you can use foil.

Personally, I'd avoid that. Not saying it isn't ok, but I'm forgetful and when a beer is finished fermenting, it will draw some air back. I do think you'd be fine feeding multiple blow offs into the same container, though I've never done it, I doubt a beer could draw enough to bring the liquid all the way back. Just make sure your jug (or whatever you use) doesn't overflow, or be prepared for it to.... like how they have an overflowing bucket of foam under a large fermenter in a brewery.

Why all the fear of suckback of sanitized(starsan) water?

Isnt that kind of the entire point of using starsan?
Even if it did get sucked back in your safe.

And atleast in the case of a air lock your talking maybe quarter a teaspoon of water if you really screw up and get the entire thing sucked in.

Why all the fear of suckback of sanitized(starsan) water?

Isnt that kind of the entire point of using starsan?
Even if it did get sucked back in your safe.

And atleast in the case of a air lock your talking maybe quarter a teaspoon of water if you really screw up and get the entire thing sucked in.

:confused: You must've missed the OP. He's talking about running multiple blowoff tubes to the same jug/jar of starsan. The concern would be if one sucked back, it could suck yeast and beer (mixed with starsan) from the other. Not likely, but that's where the discussion came from.

Back