Mr. Beer kit on Craigslist - good deal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iXanadu

Reaction score
Home Brew Kit/ Beer

I currently have 3 fermenters and 3 carboys. There have been times I thought about smaller sample brews. Anyone familiar enough with Mr Beer equipment to offer a comment on this?

Thanks in advance.

I just finished my first batch in Mr.Beer and all I can say is that it works. I think that Mr.Beer is a good kit for a small and/or experimental brew.

price seams a little high on used stuff. i got a mr beer with the 8 pep bottles for $30. if you just want a MR Beer fermenter go to rite aid and see if they have any left, i heard they where $9 after christmas. i wasnt impressed with mine, i dont think i would spend $50 on that when you could get a couple 3 gallon carboys for that price.

Have you read through this thread? It might give you some more information on the Mr. Beer product.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/mr-beer-read-all-about-ask-questions-46360/

Sorry - I'll confess to be a little be lazy (just for this post I promise). Its 100+ pages long, but I did skim for 10 minutes here and there. It almost so unwieldy to be useful (MHO) I am looking at the mrbeer site. I can buy the 2 gallon fermenters for $10 a piece which might be what I should do.

Regardless, I still welcome comments if any are inclined to offer them. I'm especially interested in peripheral uses - or small batches - given I already have a reasonable brewing system.

Based on what I paid for the Mr. Beer that's an okay price, particularly if you're getting two fermenters and the three cans of extract aren't too old. A couple of those cans look like the older style of Mr. Beer extract, but I'm not sure exactly when they changed the design. I think my kit new was about $39 and it came with one can of extract, a booster pack, yeast, one-step sanitizer, one fermenter keg, and eight of the plastic bottles.

I just bought a five gallon setup today from More Beer, but have absolutely NO intention of getting rid of my Mr. Beer. I'll use it for smaller batches and probably even try a few more of their extracts to see if there are any I really like.

Nvr2low's got a good idea. Swing by your local Rite Aid/CVS and see what they have, as I understand they often drastically reduce the price after Christmas. I was going to mention that, if all you want is the fermenter, Mr. Beer sells them on their website, but it looks like you already figured that out.

Back