Moving to RIMS from HERMS questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

disney7

Reaction score
I currently have a HERMS setup consisting of a 2KW 120V element mounted in a 2 gallon cooler and a copper coil immersed in that which the wort flows through. I use a PID controller and an RTD sensor at the output in the mash tun to control it.

I'm looking to replace that setup with something a little simpler and easier to clean.

Are there any issues with localized boiling on the element surface causing burnt or carmelized flavors in the beer? I use a 1500W low density element in my HLT (set it on a timer w/PID control so my strike water is ready when I walk into the garage) and when it is running at a high duty cycle I can see bubbles forming on its surface.

How easy is it to clean the elements? Will a PBW soak/re-circ take care of it?

Are there any ULD 120V elements that will work? My current HERMS 2KW element is not low density. Could I run a 240V element off 120V for an ever lower density setup? I don't have 240V available.

Also, I use a large (13 gallon) rectangular mash tun and made a 1/2" CPVC manifold with 11/64th inch drilled holes to return the wort across the entire top of the grain bed. Before that I was having issues with some areas not being heated uniformly. I read on Bobby_M's page that this isn't a great idea for RIMS, as the RIMS tube can rupture if the output into the mash tun gets clogged. I've never had problems with clogging, but does anyone have suggestions for a better way to return the wort that is compatible with the RIMS tube?

Thanks

Are there any issues with localized boiling on the element surface causing burnt or carmelized flavors in the beer? I use a 1500W low density element in my HLT (set it on a timer w/PID control so my strike water is ready when I walk into the garage) and when it is running at a high duty cycle I can see bubbles forming on its surface.

How easy is it to clean the elements? Will a PBW soak/re-circ take care of it?

Are there any ULD 120V elements that will work? My current HERMS 2KW element is not low density. Could I run a 240V element off 120V for an ever lower density setup? I don't have 240V available.

Also, I use a large (13 gallon) rectangular mash tun and made a 1/2" CPVC manifold with 11/64th inch drilled holes to return the wort across the entire top of the grain bed. Before that I was having issues with some areas not being heated uniformly. I read on Bobby_M's page that this isn't a great idea for RIMS, as the RIMS tube can rupture if the output into the mash tun gets clogged. I've never had problems with clogging, but does anyone have suggestions for a better way to return the wort that is compatible with the RIMS tube?

Thanks

As long as you have even a trickle of wort flow, the PID will keep the element in check. The lower the watt density the better. You can find ULWD foldback units in 2kW 115v but they are pretty pricy compared to the average 5500w element that has the same surface area. Run that on 115v and you get 1375 watts and a mile of surface area.

The recommendation to not use restrictive return manifolds and the worst case scenario warning is admittedly over the top. However, any mash recirculation system will eventually send grain particles through. There's no compelling reason to use a sprinkling system with tiny holes when a more bulk/coarse system will work. I personally recommend using the locline system to deliver it back on to the top of the mash. If not, at least drill something like a 1/4" hole at the top/end of your manifold as an emergency relief.

Thanks for the info Bobby. You've reminded me of another question.

I batch sparge and use two big stainless mesh bazooka tubes as a filter in the bottom of the mash tun (I may have gotten them from you). So, I can pull wort out of the tun at a pretty decent rate without having to worry about a stuck sparge.

For those that use a false bottom with a RIMS setup, are you restricted to using the RIMS as purely a temp maintenance process? Can you pull enough wort volume to allow the RIMS to do temperature steps or mash outs in a reasonable amount of time?

Latest posts

Back