Moving to AG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GatorBeer

Reaction score
I've done some extract batches, then used some steeping grains and now I'm ready to go all grain. I'm a little confused on what I'm going to need so hopefully someone can help clear things up.

I have a 10 gallon pot and propane burner. I also have a keg and the capability to convert it into a keggle.

Should I convert it into a keggle, use that as my boil pot, drill a hole into my 10 gallon pot, put a spout on it and then convert a rubbermaid cooler into a mash tun? I'd like some direction on what to do. Thanks!

All you really need is one boil kettle and one plastic cooler/MLT. Here is the video that helped me make the move to AG:

Last edited by a moderator:
Why would you want a keggle AND a 10 gallon pot? Do you plan on having two separate burners and heating sparge water during the mash?

Yes, lots of people convert coolers into mash tuns.

That's what I would do. Seems like your on the right track. Using the keg as your boil pot should allow for 10 gallon batches so size your mash tun accordingly if you want to go that route. You'll also need a properly sized wort chiller.

Why would you want a keggle AND a 10 gallon pot? Do you plan on having two separate burners and heating sparge water during the mash?

Yes, lots of people convert coolers into mash tuns.

This is why I was confused. I didnt know if I needed/would want both a keggle and a pot.

This is why I was confused. I didnt know if I needed/would want both a keggle and a pot.

You can definitely do all-grain with just 1 pot/kettle. Convert the cooler into an MLT (combined mash and lauter tun.) Then you just need a burner (to go with the propane?), because you probably already have everything else you need.

GatorBeer said:

I use two pots because I have my kettle and a pot for heating up sparge water but there are other ways to do it as explained above.

Latest posts

Back