• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Illinois Moving Sale - Used Oak Barrels

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SHF

Reaction score
So I have a used red wine barrel that has held a flanders red style sour that I will be draining and getting rid of before I move. The oak has been stripped so it's pretty much just good for sour beer at this point. I used pitches of lacto, brett, Jolly Pumpkin & Fantome dregs to innoculate and it has produced some really nice sour beer. The barrel was originally from Prairie State Winery in Genoa, and I filled it about 2 weeks after they emptied it.

I also have a 30 gallon Koval whiskey barrel. Same situation...no oak left. It made an awesome barrel aged imperial stout, and now is home to a sour stout a la Jolly Pumpkin's Madrugada Obscura.

Looking for $100 ea. would need to be picked up (Huntley/Elgin area) or I could meet somewhere within a reasonable distance.

IMG_6941.JPG

IMG_6942.JPG

Last edited:
Bump.
Ok, how about $100 ea? It may seem like a lot to fill, but I managed working all weekend doing 10g batches to fill the wine barrel (3 brews a day for two days for those who can't math), and the whiskey barrel is really just a one day job. they work great using a solera-ish method of pulling 5g off and topping back up with fresh wort, so no need to empty it all at once.

How soon are you moving? I am also moving soon but have been looking for 30 gallon barrel for a sour. Could meet in Rockford.

we clos mid Nov but would like to move them out sooner.

Last drop otherwise they become craft projects. $75ea

yep. They are moving to Madison this weekend if nobody picks them up

I work in Madison and have gotten relatively situated in the new place. If you move them are you still looking to sell them?

probably. I might keep one to make some things out of but would sell one of the two for sure

Back