Can i use this for anything? (Oak Barrel)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CliffMongoloid

Reaction score
Afternoon,

I was given an Oak barrel. The person that gave it to me said its 5 gallons and it was to be used for kombucha.

Im wondering if I can use this for anything? Maybe ferment? or age? I dont think the lid makes a great seal. But i dont know much about using oak barels. The inside has def been burned.

Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    559.2 KB · Views: 18
Try open fermenting in it. Could be an awesome vessel to make some really cool mixed fermentation beers in. I’d maybe start with something darker and see how much character the barrel adds. With each fermentation you should get less and less oak character. Maybe make a cheap extract beer and see how it turns out.

I found it listed on a few websites, just by searching "kombucha barrel". Not a ton of info, but if you click around, you find more info/reviews.

You may be able to make a high alcohol beer and trust the cork and alcohol will protect it well enough during barrel aging. (Or just wrap the whole thing in big plastic bag and purge with CO2 - barrel age in a bubble =c) ).

You don’t want to age in that barrel. Primary fermentation in it then transfer to a keg or some other vessel you can purge of oxygen.

Back