moving propane to a different tank

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2nd Street Brewery

Reaction score
I've never seen this question come up before but here goes.

Has anyone ever rigged up a way to move propane from one tank to another?
I have a couple of tanks and right now I have an almost empty tank( maybe 1/4 full or less) and a tank about half full. I really don't have enough in the one tank to do anything and I hate to pay full price to fill it. If I could take it and move to the other tank then fill it I would save some bucks. Most likely the set up would cost more than what I would save but if there was an inexpensive way to do it I might be interested in trying it. Any sugestions?

I did the Wagner thing a while ago. It was because a friend gave me a fork lift 10 gallon tank that was FULL! So I partially filled my two 20 pounders. Tanks have the empty weight stamped on them, 18 er 19 on my two, so you can tell when they are getting fuller.

"TW 19" means Tare Weight 19 pounds. Tare= empty.

Or you can pour a kettle of hot water down the side of your tank, then feel starting at THE BOTTOM. The liqiud propane will be cool, the tank will feel hot at the gas level.

the_bird said:
Why not just run the first tank until it dies, then swap it out? Isn't that the point of owning two tanks?

I was planning on having both my burners going at the same time, but the more I have been thinking about it, the less likely that will be the way to go. I was going to have one set up for the boil kettle and one for the mash/sparge water. I realize that I won't need both at the same time since once I'm done mashing I will be boiling.

Oh well that's what I get for thinking:drunk:

May be a moot point. Was looking to brew Monday but the grandson and I both woke up sicker than dogs this morning. Trying to decide if I want to make the trek to LHBS today for my grain.

Latest posts

Back