Moving keg after lagering?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m1k3

Reaction score
I usually just lager my kegs on tap. This time I have a second keg lagering in a chest freezer.

Should I use a picnic tap to dump a pint or two before moving the keg to the kegerator?

My concern is that shaking the keg up will resuspend the same stuff that just dropped out during cold storage. No?

Then again Germans "roll out the barrel" right before hammering in the faucet. That would seem like bad practice. (But photos of the beer look crystal clear)

It depends on how clear the beer was before moving into the keg. For me when I move a keg it'll be hazy for a few hours until everything settles back down.

Even pulling a pint before hand will only pull depris right around the dip tube.

I usually just lager my kegs on tap. This time I have a second keg lagering in a chest freezer.

Should I use a picnic tap to dump a pint or two before moving the keg to the kegerator?

My concern is that shaking the keg up will resuspend the same stuff that just dropped out during cold storage. No?

Then again Germans "roll out the barrel" right before hammering in the faucet. That would seem like bad practice. (But photos of the beer look crystal clear)

I lager/carb my kegged beers in a temp controlled freezer before moving inside into my kegerator. I typically take samples with a picnic tap while lagering to see my progress so this is removing a good bit of sediment. I am in essence doing exactly what you are discussing a little bit at a time. For the reason of suspending sediment while moving the keg, pulling a pint or two with a picnic tap can only help maintain clarity.

-Clean/sani another keg.
-Pour off enough to get nice clear beer from keg 1.
-Make a jumper line (two beer out fittings)
-Bleed pressure from keg two,
-Hook it up and transfer nice clean beer to new keg.
-Kill it as soon as you start getting the crap from keg 1.
-Move keg around all you want, nothing to kick up now.

Back