Moving from propane to eBIAB - talk me out of it (or into it)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should I ditch propane for eBIAB?

• Total voters

ILMSTMF

Reaction score
I BIAB with a Stainless Brewing 15 gallon BK, thermometer and ball valve built in. Blichmann burner. Producing 5 gallon batches. It has become a pain having to move the BK four times on brew day to complete different steps of the process. (Ask me for details if you want but the point is that doing every step of the day in place would not be easy).

I'm considering selling the BK and burner to help pay for the Anvil Foundry. While I could modify the BK to install electric heating elements, I figure that, at that point, I would be investing into a solution that could be solved more easily by just trading to the Foundry. For those who know, please share what I would be losing by making this change. Here's what I've come up with.

Current propane system
Pros
• heats faster
• 15 gallon capacity allows for batches larger than 5 gallons, if I ever care to try that.

Cons
• propane costs a lot vs electric
• can only brew outside (I brewed in garage once and it was more of a pain than it was worth, sorry).
The next points apply to me only.
• I cannot brew / chill / transfer in place. It is painful moving heavy stuff around (yes, a second adult helps me move the BK).
• not easy to control temperature, especially during mash and whirlpool
• where I chill and transfer is sort of inconvenient

Foundry
Pros
• electric costs less
• temp control for mash and whirlpool
• bang for the buck
• easy to use but not entirely "hands-off", like a Keurig. In other words, the brewer still has ability to control their process. Right?

• I have determined that the front porch would be the most convenient location to do everything in place. There's a hose spigot for IC supply, I could run the outbound water to the curb, there's a 120 outlet nearby (for pump, perhaps), there's a pretty deep awning to provide shade & catch rain. Thus, I wouldn't have to concern with steam issues (if I were brewing inside).
This is probably my favorite pro point. Do everything in the same place. Much less lifting. I would even consider cleaning it right outside instead of lugging it inside to the shower. The pump could be used for this job (cleaning itself in the process).

Cons
• heats slower than propane
• it's tall - a pain to store

• initial cost to purchase
• smaller capacity than my current BK
• I would need to install a 240v outlet. A friend is willing to do this for cost of parts only. Would be near breaker, in garage.
• I would need to purchase a lengthy / costly 240v extension cord to run out of garage and up stairs to front porch.
• I like the timer feature but probably wouldn't be able to use it. I wouldn't leave it on front porch overnight.

OK, weigh in, thanks!

After reading your post it sounds like the electric will make more sense at this time, I’m not sure a vote will really help because everyone has their own way that they brew and while it works for them it might not work for you.

Personally I use propane and always will, electric is not appealing to me at all, between the upfront costs and all the controls it seems way more complicated than it needs to be, that’s my opinion.

I did vote propane but would tell you to go electric.

...It has become a pain having to move the BK four times on brew day to complete different steps of the process. ...

I'll ask. Why is it necessary for you to move the kettle four times for different steps of the process?

Brewing on the front porch could be a good idea, especially if you have a water spigot nearby, and you can establish a mount point overhead for hoisting/draining the bag. But can't you get those benefits without the need to switch to electric? The Anvil unit will be slower and less versatile (in batch size), and you're going to have to pay a fair amount to make the switch.

I put much thought into investing in an electic system for my BIAB embarkation which is just 3 brew old. All have been with propane. Before starting, I considered induction burners, putting a 220 volt service in my garage to run a 5K Watt element for which I'd need to desicrate my kettle with a drill. Someone gave me a new propane turkey burner, so my choice for starting out was made easier.

My first session was very much a learning experience. I Had my kettle much too close to the burner, which resulted in me taking almost an hour to heat to 160. I fixed this between mash and the boil by introducing a stand to increase the burner gap to around 4 inches, and that is what I have been using since. Burn times are greatly reduced and more efficient.

I use a 30 odd foot garden hose attached to my immersion chiller, cool the wort in the garage. I sanitize my fermenting bucket indoors, and simply fill it too in the garage. I carry that back indoors to ferment. I am a bottler, not a kegger. The only time I move the kettle is to fill it with water, to bring it to the garage, and to bring it back in after using the hose to clean it out. I asssume, since I am boiling anyway, that I could fill my kettle directly from the garden hose too, but I have not yet. Just doesn't seem clean.

So yeah! Why do you move the kettle 4 times? Assume it is a logistical necessity I have not encountered myself.

I use 2 plastic tote boxes to collect water from my immersion chiller, and dispense the water on my flower beds, or vegetable gardens. I could easily rig up a PVC pipe system to run it into the never never in my 2 acre lot. It rains 200 days a year here, and snows much of the rest, so I aint overly worried about returning water to mother earth. She's been giving back in spades up here.

In the end, glad I never took the trouble installing an electric system, or element in my kettle. If I did try electric, it'd probably be with an induction burner or some form of stove top assembly outside. I have restricted my self to garage brewing due to odor and vapour. I am pretty happy with my propane setup, and have plenty I can do when waiting for watter to heat up, mash times, etc. Proviso being, I am only 3 batches into BIAB, and much before was indoor extract on the cook top on my spare basement stove.

Last edited:
Brewing on the front porch could be a good idea, especially if you have a water spigot nearby, and you can establish a mount point overhead for hoisting/draining the bag.

Spigot, yes. Hoist point... Perhaps the gutter? Not sure if that's a great idea. But I suppose the key point would be that the Foundry's basket gets pulled and rests on the kettle rim. So, no bag to pull / pulley for draining. I could still add my Wilser bag to the basket, perhaps, to minimize debris in the wort. Even then, the bag would be in the basket, resting on the kettle rim.

But can't you get those benefits without the need to switch to electric?

Perhaps. More below.

The Anvil unit will be slower and less versatile (in batch size), and you're going to have to pay a fair amount to make the switch.

The slower heat time is, to me, the biggest con versus propane. As a parent, taking 4+ hours on brew day creates some tension. A longer brew day would...suck. Except, propane requires me to monitor the BK whenever heat is on. I have walked away from the BK heating to strike temp or during the boil to come back and find the wind blew the flame out. Or the propane supply ran out! With electric, I'm pretty sure I can "set it and forget it" giving me back some time to do family stuff in between.
Batch size - it's a non-issue right now. I don't plan to do bigger than 5 gallon batches. Not for a while, anyway.
Cost - the plan would be to recoup some by selling the BK and burner.

So yeah! Why do you move the kettle 4 times? Assume it is a logistical necessity I have not encountered myself.

I must have explained this in other threads before. I'm exhausted having to explain it but, here goes again lol
Actually before I do, let me say clearly - I have thought of how to eliminate some of the lifts. Others here have given suggestions. The ways to do it with my current system just don't make enough sense for the required effort.

• burner is in driveway. Heats strike water. Once target hits, BK moves into garage for mash rest. Lift 1.
Oh, but why don't you mash outside, in place, atop the burner stand? No hoist point for the bag lift. The garage has a hoist point. Also, sometimes I will let the mash rest go for 2h30m while I'm out with the family. I don't like the idea of leaving the BK, unsupervised outside, for that length.
• mash complete, lift the bag in garage. Bring BK back to burner in driveway to begin boil. Lift 2.
• boil complete. Time to chill. Back to garage where the water spigot resides and so does the clothes washer. So what? So, after I collect ~13 gallons of outbound water into 3 buckets that I use to clean with later, I send the rest into the clothes washer for draining. Lift 3.
• I don't chill at a height. Garage floor is cold so, that helps with cooling, I guess. Plus, the heights I have in the garage are not really where I want to chill. This is mainly for the sake of spill prevention. Easier to clean spills on garage floor versus the workbench or the clothes dryer. Which brings me to... the clothes dryer. Put some old towels down and put the BK atop the dryer. Why? For gravity drain into FV. Lift 4.
Extra special super pain in the ass bonus prize! When the job's done, I get to carry all of the buckets of water upstairs where I do my cleaning! Front porch brewing would eliminate the stairs. It would potentially eliminate cleaning inside entirely. I don't have it figured out but I bet I could figure out a way to use the pump to clean the Foundry in place, outside.
• The only benefit I have with chilling / transferring to FV in the garage is the fact that the FC is in the garage. A pretty simple move from floor to FC. But, all other brew day gear that has been brought downstairs to the garage or driveway must be brought back upstairs for cleaning. I like cardio but not that much.

@ILMSTMF you win grand prize for the most dedicated brewer on the forum. Cheers!

Perhaps my daily consumption has taken hold as the joke went over my head. Indulge me, please. I do not feel I am worthy of such an accolade!

Is your burner a fixed point in the driveway? Can't you move it in the garage? Under the hoist. That would solve 2 of your BK moves. If not, then I use a not too elaborate Eastman Turkey fryer stove for my burner, and it heats 6-8 gallons to 160 in about 20-25 minutes, and same to get to boil. $100-150 spent on a half decent 65K BTU burner close to your hoist might work better then rigging electrical. If my burner was significantly slower, I'd really consider electric. But this seems decent to me.

Your talking about hoist point, and I see others going on about hoists for their bag. I have used 12-14 LBS grain bills in the BIABs that I have done, and am easily able to lift the bag out of the wort with one hand, then apply some squeeze with the other. Squeeze some wort out, and it already starts getting lighter. Just wear a pair of dishwashing gloves to keep the hot water at bay, but its not super hot anyway.

Now, I know I am not superman, so why do I read post after post of people with pulleys and ropes, when you can easily lift a bag out and dump it in a separate pot or fermenter over a colander to ket it drio some more. Again, not sure I am missing something from your process/logistics. I pretty much squeeze my bag dry back into the wort, before dumping her in a pot.

I chill right on top of my burner, on the stand my BK Is sitting on. From the moment my heat goes on, my BK doesn't move till it is emptied into the fermentor and getting hosed.

To be honest, if I had to move a BK 4 times, beer wouldnt be that important.

Perhaps my daily consumption has taken hold as the joke went over my head. Indulge me, please. I do not feel I am worthy of such an accolade!

With all the moves you make you are very dedicated to the craft. I know I would have quite a long time ago if that’s what it took to make beer.

Is your burner a fixed point in the driveway? Can't you move it in the garage? Under the hoist. That would solve 2 of your BK moves.

Been down this road. "It's not you, it's me." I won't put the propane burner in garage, sorry.

lift the bag out of the wort with one hand, then apply some squeeze with the other.

I like to squeeze with both hands. ;-)

From the moment my heat goes on, my BK doesn't move till it is emptied into the fermentor and getting hosed.

"It's me, not you." Logistics. Not enough height for the way I transfer from BK to FV. No easily accessible spigot in driveway. Etc.

With all the moves you make you are very dedicated to the craft.

Ahhh! Hehe
Well, it's not easy to do hence getting a second adult to assist. I think I did it solo...twice? So so stupid.

I didn't read the replies just the OP, but get a Mash & Boil without the pump, and keep your existing system should you have the space and ever want to do larger batches.

You can search HBT for Mash & Boil thread(s). A number of us on here have them.

Been down this road. "It's not you, it's me." I won't put the propane burner in garage, sorry.

OK then, you can still leave burner outside, with following adjustments IMHO.

Rig up a simple barrier to keep wind, pets, and kids away off the active burner. This can be as elaborate as it needs to be, given your weather. Could be a large folding table you sit on its side, then use for transfer once wort is cooled. Wait for a day that isn't either cold, snowing, windy or raining would be optimal too.

Can you remind me why you dont want burner in garage? I do mine in a pretty shitty garage, so it's hard to envision a worse setup than mine. Again, I am not moving that thing once filled and heating, mashing boiling. No way!

I like to squeeze with both hands. ;-)

Once it is light enough, you know you can squeeze that baby with two hands. I do. Mine's pretty dry once I am done with it. You are saving 2 moves doing the bag extract in situ. A lot of moving to squeeze bag I would suggest. Weakest part of your rationale to go eBIAB, for me.

"It's me, not you." Logistics. Not enough height for the way I transfer from BK to FV. No easily accessible spigot in driveway. Etc.

Then get a 30-100 foot hose to the closest outdoor spigot. The one by your porch maybe. The washer you have in the garage? Assume to run your IC. When its cooled you transfer. Put BK on the table used to break wind.

Frankly, sounds like you have yourself convinced you want to do it the other way. Not sure I understand your setup, and advantage electric brings over propane, beyond what I picture in my own case, so I guess id have to see it.

Last edited:
but get a Mash & Boil without the pump, and keep your existing system should you have the space and ever want to do larger batches.

Good idea but the M&B, for me, doesn't hit all the marks. With respect to those using the system, of course.

Frankly, sounds like you have yourself convinced you want to do it the other way. Not sure I understand your setup, and advantage electric brings over propane, beyond what I picture in my own case, so I guess id have to see it.

You're right!
Shortly, the benefits I'll get is the ability to do everything in one place and easily. While I can probably do all in one place at the moment, it would require more effort than I care to put into it.
The kicker. We share the home and other inhabitants are not comfortable with propane burner in garage. I, myself, am not entirely comfortable with it either. So there's a mutual agreement on that one, case closed.

I do mine in a pretty shitty garage

Wait, I can finally type "****" without having to replace the "i" with a "1" ?!??! HOLY ****!!! Nope, never mind haha

If you have your dryer in the garage, why not use that 240v outlet to brew there.

I'm amused how many assume there's a 240v outlet for the dryer. I thought so too! Nope, we use a gas dryer. I did find an unused 240 outlet in the home but it's nowhere near the convenient brewing position.

Those favoring the propane system, I appreciate your advice and please, keep it coming. I'm leaning towards the Foundry, still. Imagine I've got a reliable Ford F-350 but am considering buying a Tesla. The Ford is great but the gas is expensive and I can't fit it in my garage. The Tesla is an expensive initial cost but that could be minimized with selling the Ford. That Tesla is fuel-efficient but I can't load big items in it like I could with the Ford. I would need to install a special outlet in my home to charge the Tesla but that would save trips to the fueling station. So you've got two vehicles that do the same, core, task but each vehicle has pros and cons. (I should have started the thread with all that lol)

The point of this thread was to gain enlightenment where my brain needed it. Your ideas are invaluable, thank you very much!

I dont envy anyone who shares their living space, so that says alot about your situation. Have you considered induction burner? Alot use them. Not cheap for a good one, but if just heating 5-6 gallons, could be an option.

Not entirely sure the "safety "difference between a 5-10 gallon pot of hot wort heated by either fire or electric. I tell my kids to stay clear and close my garage door, while they shoot hoops, or play war.

Assume your porch is private space, so that would be good.

...the joke went over my head....

Just complimenting you on being dedicated to brewing, despite having a laborious process/circumstance that would discourage many.

... I see others going on about hoists for their bag.... lift the bag out of the wort with one hand, then apply some squeeze with the other..... why do I read post after post of people with pulleys and ropes...

I'm one of those that "go on" about an overhead hoist point, and for good reason. It's one of the easiest and best upgrades you can make to a BIAB rig.

At the end of the mash I tug the rope and the bag lifts without me having to touch it. There's no need for gloves, because there's no need to touch the bag while it's hot. There's no need to squeeze the bag either. It hangs over the kettle during the entire boil, gravity drains it.

I dont envy anyone who shares their living space, so that says alot about your situation.

I really should preface every one of my inquisitive posts with this info lol
There's pro's and cons...

Have you considered induction burner?

Absolutely! The benefit there would be keeping my existing BK. A magnet does not stick to the BK but I'm not sure if that really even matters.

Not entirely sure the "safety "difference between a 5-10 gallon pot of hot wort heated by either fire or electric.

For me, the only concern is where that heat source is. Fire inside the attached garage is not something any of us are comfortable with. Electric, OTOH, I could do that. Dig? But now we're back to the common area issue (garage) plus my concern about steam production (again, the natives become restless). Leading me to...

Assume your porch is private space, so that would be good.

It took a lot of thought, reading, and writing to come to the conclusion that the front porch is going to be the best of all worlds, overall.

• hose spigot right there
• easy run straight out to the curb for wort chiller output
• 120v nearby for pump (should I get one)
• would be within 50' of the 240v I'm having installed
• big awning for weather repellant / shade
• usually, least amount of interruptions. In other words, that's not a typically-accessed common area. If the landscaper decides to show up on brew day though... or if the natives wish to prune / spray weed killer... Yeah, those are the snags. Again, I've concluded it's the best space to work... slightly edging out the bathroom. :-D

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/would-you-brew-in-the-bathroom.680146/
So, yes, the plan was to change over to Foundry which, honestly, looks to be an even easier process. But I could very well do induction with my current BK in the same position. I have decided against modifying my BK to add two 120v elements.

Just complimenting you on being dedicated to brewing, despite having a laborious process/circumstance that would discourage many.

Amen. As you can all plainly see, lifting BK 4 times is not fun and it is also inefficient. A little bit of thought on how to eliminate those lifts...turned into a lot of thought. And that turned into a plan for how I am going to change my process. Humans don't like change, right? I suppose that's what had me tripped up all along. The time for f***ing around is over - next brew day, I'm going to change it up with the propane setup to eliminate the stupidity.
I don't deserve your compliment but I do appreciate it!

I'm one of those that "go on" about an overhead hoist point, and for good reason. It's one of the easiest and best upgrades you can make to a BIAB rig.

It's how I've done it from the motherf***ing start! It works, it works well, why change it? There's that fear of change again...
But, that's part of my plan for next brew day. It's my least favorite part of the plan and that's because it's different. Instead of a hoist, I'd use BK ball valve to drain mash to a bucket. Get most of that wort out. Pull bag by hand and squeeze with the other, draining it into the BK. Remove bag from BK. Then return the transferred wort to the BK. I sort of hate it - instead of lifting a heavy BK as usual, I'd be lifting a heavy bucket. Not as heavy as BK but, still... a lift.

There's no need to squeeze the bag either. It hangs over the kettle during the entire boil, gravity drains it.

Ah-ha! Never thought about leaving it hanging during the boil (never had the ability to do so). Respectfully, I still want to squeeze it. Cheers!

I went from BIAB with propane to electrical brewing with an Anvil Foundry in February. My intention was to use to Anvil inside in the winter and go back to regular BIAB outdoors when the weather got nice, but I am so sold on electric brewing that it has not happened. The ability to wake up to mash water at mash in temp is fantastic, as is being able to hold at mash temps (within a few degrees here and there) is great. Sure it's slower moving between mash steps and coming to a boil...but the time saved by having water ready when I get up makes up for that. While I make good beer normally (lots of medals to show for it), I am usually a tough critic on the beers I make...but the 7 beers on the Foundry, have been out of the world good. I just can't figure out why they have all been home runs vs with my old system where maybe 80% were. The mash temp holding? Recirculating the mash? Just don't know. So long story short...GO FOR IT!

but the 7 beers on the Foundry, have been out of the world good. I just can't figure out why they have all been home runs vs with my old system where maybe 80% were. The mash temp holding? Recirculating the mash?

Indeed. I probably already said this - with my propane setup, not easy to hold mash temp (and whirlpool temp). I also don't recirculate.
Anyway, driving a hard bargain...

At the end of the mash I tug the rope and the bag lifts without me having to touch it. There's no need for gloves, because there's no need to touch the bag while it's hot. There's no need to squeeze the bag either. It hangs over the kettle during the entire boil, gravity drains it.
Needs must! If I had a hoist I'd use it. I do have a hoist in fact, but I'd have to rearrange my garage, so I just lift out the bag, and squeeze.

I built a single vessel eBIAB system because of space concerns and would highly recommend it. I use an induction heater (3KW Buffalo induction hob), a basic rims tube for maintaining mash temperature, and control the heating elements with the inkbird controller sold by Bobby at BrewHardware. It has tremendously cut down on my time (which the family appreciates) and seems substantially safer. Wouldn't go back, I've even shifted to no-chill as I have less access to a hose at the moment ha.

That's a huge plus. But, how? Versus your previous system (propane, I'm assuming). Thanks!
Yeah so the previous system had propane and used the hellfire from blichmann. I found with electricity, because there is less in terms of losses to the environment, that I could heat my strike water faster. The 3kw induction hob heats 30L of water (~7.5 gals) from 65 to 160 in ~40 minutes. I then open some valves and the kettle is set for mashing and I can begin recirculating. Once its done mashout is easy and I quickly can get to boil temp. Also due to the elimination of the flame I end up knocking out more tasks during the heatup. Also a pump of any size (I've used both the little brown pump and a march pump) makes your life substantially easier. A regular brew day runs about 4 hours with clean-up and setup. I think in terms of total time saved its the bits of time shaved off each step of the process that slims it down. I also use my pump to whirlpool.

I found with electricity, because there is less in terms of losses to the environment, that I could heat my strike water faster.

Can't get my head around it. I've not timed it but I think my strike time is about 20 using the smaller Blichmann (not the Hellfire). I use that time to mill the grains. By the time I'm done with that, via electric drill, I'm at target strike temp. That can't take as long as 40 minutes for me! Anyway, your point is taken.

Once its done mashout is easy

With my bullsh1t propane setup, I've never been able to do a mashout. So, indeed, changing my setup to electric would afford me that benefit.

Also due to the elimination of the flame I end up knocking out more tasks during the heatup.

For me, this means "walk away from the BK while it heats". Because you can. I suppose I could take the 2 minutes to sanitize the FV during that time but... what are you doing to multitask? Or did I misunderstand your point?

Also a pump of any size (I've used both the little brown pump and a march pump) makes your life substantially easier.

Another device I've yet to employ in my process. I'm OK with the spend.

A regular brew day runs about 4 hours with clean-up and setup.

Thrilling. My early AG batches would take me to 6 hours, cleaning being the worst of it. I'm under 5 hours now, easily. But 4 hours... that's great. I think the point here is that I need a better solution to get cleanup done faster. Building a multi-purpose washer is something that's been on my to-do list... I get in my own way though.

Cheers!

For me, this means "walk away from the BK while it heats". Because you can. I suppose I could take the 2 minutes to sanitize the FV during that time but... what are you doing to multitask? Or did I misunderstand your point?

Another device I've yet to employ in my process. I'm OK with the spend.
So for your first point, I'm a big fan of either using the time to hook up the rest of the hoses for my setup and an extra round of sanitizing my cold side. But I also use the time to build my recipes for my next brew day, prep bottles or kegs, or just clean the area where I store all my gear.

For the pump after having both, the march pump is sexy, but I can't deny that the little brown pump seems to be just as effective. Even buying two little brown pumps would run you $60 max vice a march pump which is easily double that.

Did you ever consider putting the propane burner on top of a dolly (hopefully that isn't an Aussie slang - flat board on wheels) so you could turn off the flame and wheel it indoors? The extra height would help as well.

Also, and this is directed as other replies, has hybrid propane/electric been seen much in the states? There's a relatively new system selling over here (cheekypeaks biabasket on youtube) which has an electric element but you can put it on a burner simultaneously to speed up the process of getting it to temp.

I'm midway through making my own version out of a cheap crab cooker. I already had most of the parts, so it's really just the cost of the pot (and the step drill bit I apparently lost :/ )

Welcome @Random_aussie

Yes, a dolly is what we call it. This could be useful for other folks.

In the meantime, I have figured out a way to continue with my propane setup and hit my favorite pro point. Everything gets done in one place now, saving excessive lifts and physical labor. For now, I will continue this way. Eventually, I might change over to the Foundry. Cheers!

Welcome @Random_aussie

In the meantime, I have figured out a way to continue with my propane setup and hit my favorite pro point. Everything gets done in one place now, saving excessive lifts and physical labor. For now, I will continue this way. Eventually, I might change over to the Foundry. Cheers!

I don't think switching to electric is a bad idea at all, but if you wanted to stay with propane there are solutions for you. The dolly is a great idea, but can be improved on. Build a tiered setup on the dolly. Your upper tear has the burner, the lower tier is for the fermenter so you can do a gravity transfer from your brew kettle. Add a post on the higher tier to attach a pulley and you're all set.

Welcome @Random_aussie

I know this is over a month old at this point but after reading the whole thread I really want to know how you solved your problem! 😆

i just wanted to vote....i said yes because anythings better then propane! but i like NG.....i'd love to turn one of my spare bedrooms into a brewery, have a NG line run to it, and get a big burner....but i brew over two bored stove burners for the time being, cheap but really messy....

I know this is over a month old at this point but after reading the whole thread I really want to know how you solved your problem! 😆

Haha, sorry about that!

TL;DR - neighbor built me a device to hoist the bag (two BK lifts eliminated). Chill wort, BK in place on top of the burner stand (third lift). Transfer wort to FV, BK still in place on top of burner stand (last lift). Major bonus - all cleaning is now done outside with garden hose (higher pressure than shower head, all "spills" safe to create since outside).
The one big drawback is that I'm still using expensive propane. But at least I got my process dialed in! All it took was thinking about every step of the process and finding ways to fix/eliminate pain points.

Some light reading lol:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/thread...lift-advice-needed-please.681271/post-8924731
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/thread...clean-more-efficiently-save-your-back.681779/

nice! that thing looks awesome! Glad you got it figured out :mug:

So am I! Again, never take a great neighbor for granted!

But as long as we're talking here... Yeah, I am very much dissatisfied with the price of propane. @bracconiere (who has one of the best signatures ever [it's the little things that amuse me]) - My hesitation with going to electric is the longer brew day. Tell me if I'm wrong but I believe the time to heat water / wort is significantly longer than with propane heat. I may have already said it in thread but putting strike water heating on a timer is not something I'd be comfortable doing since the rig would have to remain outside overnight, unattended. I don't like that risk. That's the first thing that comes to mind, anyway.
I'd get an NG line installed, if I had disposable funds.

Last edited:
same...i just use my kitchen range....and dream a dream...lucky side, the gas meter is right next to the room i'd want to convert to a brewery.....

I remember my extract days, partial boils. That would be the only way I could pull off brewing on the kitchen stove. Not enough power for full volume!

I don't have the balls to try this. Particularly because that is SWMBO's kitchen, not mine! I just eat (and drink) in there haha

Back