moving beersmith 2 to a new computer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old_E

Reaction score
Ok. My old computer at home is about to die. I need to get beersmith onto a new computer with all of my recipes. I understand I can download it on the new machine and then activate it with my already purchased code, but how do I move all my recipes easily????

Thanks!

Search your computer for *.bsm files, though it's likely to be in your documents directory.

I (thought) I had been keeping all mine in a bsm file I moved to my new pc, but then realized that it default saves to the docs directory and not the bsm file I created on another drive.

1. Right click your recipe folder (i.e mine is labelled "brian's brews")
2. Select "EXPORT SELECTED" from the menu
3. name file and save to location you will remember (or in your case a usb drive or google drive)
4. install new BS
5. then use the import wizard from the file menu and you should be good to go.

I am doing this off the top of my head, so sorry if its vague. There also may be tutorials on teh BS website/forum.

This helps. Thanks. I don't know that I deliberately made a file for my recipes. They just seem to be in the program when I open it up. does that make sense? Sorry, I am not super tech savvy.

I haven't used it yet, but the new version of the software has a cloud feature so you can easily go between machines with your recipes.

I'm trying to figure that out too. Cant see where that is possible, or how that works. I heard it is 10 recipes, unless you pay extra then you can have more.

Also, how do I import equipment setups? Same way?
Thanks.

Edit: It looks like there is a version 2.1. That probably solves my cloud questions. I suppose that is a brand new subscription/payment. May do it anyway.

Edit 2: Looks like I may have answered my own questions. I have not tried this and will not until I get home, but...
If I just download the newest version on my new computer, apparently 2.1 is a free upgrade from 2.0. Then go to my old computer, click on whatever file in Beersmith and go to export all it will put it into an emailable package. I can then email it to myself, at which point It may get hairy.
I will save it somehow to a folder and seach using import on the new machine. this should find all the .bsmx files... supposedly. I guess I could do something similar with a thumb drive only my laptop, for some reason hates my new thumb drive. no idea.

I am just praying that activating it on my work computer did not use up all my activations. I uninstalled, but.... I can also uninstall on my old computer. Just need it on the new computer, dammit.

Back