Movies

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw Blades of Glory last night. Low humor but I found the whole thing to be pretty funny. Have to like the "Will Ferrell" movie though.

Speaking of Will Ferrell I also saw Stranger Than Fiction recently, I thought it was a damn good movie.

TxBrew said:
I saw Blades of Glory last night. Low humor but I found the whole thing to be pretty funny. Have to like the "Will Ferrell" movie though.

Speaking of Will Ferrell I also saw Stranger Than Fiction recently, I thought it was a damn good movie.

I'm dying to see Blades of Glory, even though I didn't like Talladega Nights very much. It was more the script than the characters that were problematic.

I didn't like Talladega Nights either or find it that funny. Anchorman was so-so as well. Blades of Glory I was laughing the whole time.

You can't leave out his cameo in Wedding Crashers.

Honey, look! I'm hang-gliding.......Aaaaaahhh.... I'm dead!

For movies that I can, or have and still will watch over and over:
Rocky 1 and 2
My Cousin Vinny
Midnight Run (Robert Deniro and Charles Grodin, it's funnier each time you watch it, since you notice more and more of the subtle stuff)
Top Gun
The Jerk
Mad Max (the first one, great flick)
Son In Law (if you're in a no-mind Pauly Shore kind of mood)
Friday (Ice Cube and Chris Tucker are hilarious)
Rush Hour (the first one)
American Pie (actually #2 beats out the first one for side splitting laughs, to me).
Rat Race (that one guy that makes the funny faces, I can't remember the actor's name, but I just crack up looking at the guy, plus the premise for the movie is a riot)

A bunch of these have been mentioned already, but here goes a partial list anyway......

The Sting
Memphis Belle
Remember the Titans
the Replacements
The Right Stuff
Glory
Ghettysburgh
The entire 9 episodes of Ken Burns' Civil War Series (sense a pattern here?)
The Longest Day
Inherit the Wind
The Spirit of St. Louis

A ton more I can't think of at the moment

Anything with Sam Elliot. The greatest hippy biker guy in the movies. He was a good beer drinker in Roadhouse..

True Romance
Gangs of New York
Once Upon a Time in America (if you have an entire afternoon to watch it)
South Park; Bigger, Longer, Uncut
The Big Lebowski (obviously)
Caddyshack (the movie that inspired me to drop a baby ruth bar in a hotel pool and yell "Doody!!":D )

todd_k said:
Just saw 300 and it's a good one. Sort of a combination of Gladiator and Lord of the Rings. I knew it was based on a graphic novel but I didn't know it was based on a true event.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Thermopylae

I can't believe Iran is all PO'd about this movie....
I can. Actually, they're probably not so much PO'd as they want to get their own population riled up and angry at the West.

AND...SWMBO gave me permission to sneak out one night and watch it after the spawn has gone to bed. Sweet.

Top 10, In order:

1. The Life Aquatic
2. The Big Lebowksi
3. Napoleon Dynamite
4. What About Bob?
5. LotR
6. Big
7. Flight of the Navigator
8. Neverending Story
9. Christmas Vacation
10. Talladega Nights

Baron von BeeGee said:
AND...SWMBO gave me permission to sneak out one night and watch it after the spawn has gone to bed. Sweet.
Well, downside was that I got clearance Friday night so I had to weigh the downside of showing up at the cinema on a Friday night alone vs the probability that I would have to watch 300 on DVD on my non-flatscreen non-home theater system. So, I slipped on my wedding ring (so they'd know I was really a stud) and went. Great movie! I'll probably snag the DVD when it comes out. I liked it a lot better than Sin City which I didn't even finish.

What about Bob?
Blade Runner
This is Spinal Tap
Zelig
Vacation (the first 3 are all good, 1st ones the best, best Rusty))
The Gladiator

Ahhh, theres too many...

One of my all-time favorites that hasn't been mentioned is "Being There" with Peter Sellers. It was made in 1979 and may not be easy to find at your local Lackluster Video. Netflix can probably get it for you. A must-see, IMHO.

One of my all-time faves (which isn't on anyones list yet) is Memento. Awesome flick directed and written by the guy who did batman begins. Tends to be a little difficult to find, but well worth the effort.

One I forgot about and watched yesterday again - Boondock Saints. I'm not irish but it makes you want to be one with a holy calling from above.

The Blues Brothers
It's a Wonderful Life
A Christmas Story
Castaway
Caddyshack
Band of Brothers (any episode)

Oops-- forgot about Gettysburg I can watch that one over and over and over.... and it's about 4 hours long.

Rhoobarb said:
One of my all-time favorites that hasn't been mentioned is "Being There" with Peter Sellers. It was made in 1979 and may not be easy to find at your local Lackluster Video. Netflix can probably get it for you. A must-see, IMHO.

I forgot about that one. Be prepared to really pay attention (no distractions) but that one will really blow you away. Possibly Peter Sellers' masterpiece.

Saw Grindhouse tonight...it was...okay. Rodriguez's movie was decent, Tarantino's, I was a bit disappointed. It had some great car scenes but it was a tad boring in some parts. Definitely one Tarantino DVD I won't be buying.

The price of admission was worth it alone for the preview of "Machete". It should be a real movie. It kicked total ass.

Also, saw a preview for teh new Sandler movie...somethign about him being married to another dude. Jessica Beil is in it....absolutely SMOKIN'. Wow, she has got an awesome body. One part in the preview where she was changing clothes...HOLY CRIKEY.

Tarantino & Rodriguez are hit or miss for me. I either love the movie or think it's a waste of film.

Netflix'ed Borat last night, though! Two thumbs up! SWMBO was like, "I don't want to see that, you go ahead while I do some work." So I fired it up and was laughing like a rabid hyena causing SWMBO to come down during the scene where Borat and Azamat are "naked wrestling"...she died laughing and wound up staying to the end and then we re-watched the parts she missed!

High five!

Anyone seen Reno 911?

I rented it tonight and OMG was it stupid. I do have to point out that Dogfish Head got some serious advertising though. All the beer drunk in the movie was DFH.

OMFG, Terry is hilarious.

Latest posts

Back