Movies

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Donnie Darko is a great flick.

I just saw this Wong Kar-Wi movie tonight, Chung King Express. A little arty for some maybe, and in Chinese with English subtitles, but really, a great film.

I watch a lot, lot, lot of movies. Often over and over again.

I just saw Pan's Labyrinth tonight. I highly recommend it, especially if you don't mind subtitles (or if you speak Spanish). It's a dark adult fantasy movie set during the Franco revolution in Spain....very dark and violent in places, but really well made and emotional in places.

I have a copy of the Big Lebowski that just won't backup. I may have to watch it. Also just picked up The Departed, School for Scoundrels, and Beerfest.

Baron von BeeGee said:
I just saw Pan's Labyrinth tonight. I highly recommend it, especially if you don't mind subtitles (or if you speak Spanish). It's a dark adult fantasy movie set during the Franco revolution in Spain....very dark and violent in places, but really well made and emotional in places.

I'll have ot check that out. Sounds great.

Has to be better than the one I just watched. Tenacious D. :drunk:

(It was okay--about what I expected, but I'll never watch it again. :D )

That seems to be the hallmark of many Jack Black movies...what I expected, and I wouldn't watch it again (see Nacho Libre).

I've got the next week to myself and I'm going to try to catch a few more movies. Maybe Black Snake Moaning (not quite sure what to expect there, but Ricci half naked and chained to a radiator's gotta be worth a look), Reno 911 (I know I'll be disappointed, but I love the tv show), and I really want to catch 300 on Friday, but I have a 6am flight on Saturday :(

Baron von BeeGee said:
That seems to be the hallmark of many Jack Black movies...what I expected, and I wouldn't watch it again (see Nacho Libre).

I've got the next week to myself and I'm going to try to catch a few more movies. Maybe Black Snake Moaning (not quite sure what to expect there, but Ricci half naked and chained to a radiator's gotta be worth a look), Reno 911 (I know I'll be disappointed, but I love the tv show), and I really want to catch 300 on Friday, but I have a 6am flight on Saturday :(

300 looks awesome. Frank Miller is a genius. Reno 911 looks funny as hell although SWMBO cringes every time she sees the beached whale seen.

Jack Black was in a movie that I will watch over and over. The Cable Guy. A very under-appreciated Jim Carrey movie. The Medieval Times scene was worth the price of admission. :D

SWMBO asked if I wanted to go see "Zodiac" tonight. Ruff day and any other time I might have said yeah but not tonight.

"300" looks good. What's the story on "23"?

What's the story on all these #'s? :drunk:

Baron von BeeGee said:
Maybe Black Snake Moaning (not quite sure what to expect there, but Ricci half naked and chained to a radiator's gotta be worth a look)

Yeah that one I'll have to remember. She's gotten to be a pez-like/stick figure almost, but definitely worth the look.

Ize

Well, second movie I've been to in like six months! I had to see Flags of Our Fathers because I enjoyed the book so much (wasn't as impressed with the movie, but it's still really good). I have been wearing out Netflix, though. Just returned Habla con Ella (okay) and now have Capote.

Wait, just remembered there's that Forrest Whittaker film I want to see where he plays the African dictator...that'll probably supercede Reno or Black Snake, especially since it's playing at the theatre that sells beer.

Ize said:
SWMBO asked if I wanted to go see "Zodiac" tonight. Ruff day and any other time I might have said yeah but not tonight.

"300" looks good. What's the story on "23"?

What's the story on all these #'s? :drunk:

Yeah that one I'll have to remember. She's gotten to be a pez-like/stick figure almost, but definitely worth the look.

Ize

I think Zodiac looks good. Anyone else surprised to find out there were 2 Zodiac killers?

beer4breakfast said:
I love Almodovar's movies. Haven't seen this one yet, though.
It's pretty good...I wasn't wowed, but it was worthwhile. Volver is out right now which I'd like to see, but I'll wait for SWMBO since it sort of looks like a date movie that might get me lucky. Hopefully Penelope gets naked, but I doubt it.

Great movies, forgive me if I missed i, but if you haven't watched "Blazing Saddles" lately, grab a beer sit back and enjoy.

Rick

I can watch these over and over, and have!

The last of the Mohicans - awesome sound track
Gladiator
The Doors

Good movies I've seen recently:

Children of Men, Pan's Labyrith, The Prestige, The Departed, The Illusionist, Jesus Camp.

The Sting (Greatest movie ever)
Kingpin
Billy Madison
Happy Gilmore
Dumb and Dumber
The Warriors
Fight Club
Strange Brew
Plan 9 from Outer Space
Road House
Harold and Kumar go to White Castle
South Park - Bigger, Better and Uncut
Heavy Metal
Something about Mary
Zoolander
Cool Hand Luke
Any X-Man movie
Any Spiderman movie
Any Star Wars Movie
Any Matrix Movie
Any LOtR Movie

Tonight I saw The Last King of Scotland. It's about the regime of General Amin in Uganda during the 70's and a Scottish doctor who became his personal physician, based on a true story. Pretty good flick overall, though not mindbending. Forrest Whitaker is one hell of an actor, however.

I just watched "Grandma's Boy" this weekend...

...about 6 times...

It's f\/cking hilarious! Quite possibly the best worst movie ever! It has absolutely no point or plot...but the comedy is pure...stupidity! Watch it (drunk!).

Has anybody seen 300 yet? Awesome / overrated? The trailers look awesome, but it wouldn't be the first time for a movie that sucks. I'm thinking about catching it on Wednesday (20 peso night) if I can con my wife into it. We're planning to see Pan's Labyrinth tonight since she hasn't seen it and I wanted to give it another view.

Baron von BeeGee said:
Has anybody seen 300 yet? Awesome / overrated? The trailers look awesome, but it wouldn't be the first time for a movie that sucks. I'm thinking about catching it on Wednesday (20 peso night) if I can con my wife into it. We're planning to see Pan's Labyrinth tonight since she hasn't seen it and I wanted to give it another view.

Better than the trailers. REALLY gory though. I'd have to put it in my top 5 all time action movies. The spartans fighting techniques were pretty freaking awesome.

I saw it Friday night and was in awe for about 3 hours afterwards.

REALLY gory though, did I mention that? Good sex scene too. :)

Dude said:
Good sex scene too. :)

You *had* to say that. I hate going to the movies, but SWMBO has been dying to see 300 - and a little bit o' tittie might be enough to get me to go along, dammit.

It better not disappoint!

Dude said:
Or what, tough guy? ;)

He'll flood HBT with posts condemning you, then he'll threaten you with bannings and delete your posts. Friggin mods here suck. Bunch of power-tripping ahole dbags.

Cheesefood said:
He'll flood HBT with posts condemning you, then he'll threaten you with bannings and delete your posts. Friggin mods here suck. Bunch of power-tripping ahole dbags.

Wow, didn't take you long to catch on... :D

GET BACK IN LINE, MAGGOT!

Dude said:
Better than the trailers. REALLY gory though. I'd have to put it in my top 5 all time action movies. The spartans fighting techniques were pretty freaking awesome.

I saw it Friday night and was in awe for about 3 hours afterwards.

REALLY gory though, did I mention that? Good sex scene too. :)
Sweet. SWMBO claims she wants to see it, but I have a feeling she'll regret it. Maybe she'll let me sneak out next week to catch it. We were going to catch it here in Mexico, but it doesn't open until March 30th :confused::mad: Wednesdays are 20 peso night!

El Pistolero said:
I've thought many a time that this was some sort of evil cloning conspiracy, but I never mentioned it because last time someone mentioned a conspiracy (kornkob I think is was) they immediately disappeared. :eek:
Uh, oh! See you guys (or not I guess). :(

Don't worry-- I think that the AmishCanadian Conspiracy has been sidetracked for the time being.

But we should remain vigilent--- they could be back trying to steal our buttons and back bacon at any moment.

Baron von BeeGee said:
Sweet. SWMBO claims she wants to see it, but I have a feeling she'll regret it. Maybe she'll let me sneak out next week to catch it. We were going to catch it here in Mexico, but it doesn't open until March 30th :confused::mad: Wednesdays are 20 peso night!

300 was particularly good in iMax. (although I confess that I didn't pay for it--- work took us to see the movie opening day)

kornkob said:
300 was particularly good in iMax. (although I confess that I didn't pay for it--- work took us to see the movie opening day)
Good call...I'll have to check with ours to see if it's playing. There's an IMAX down here, but it's not showing anything particularly interesting.

Back