Move My Fermentor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foam_top

Reaction score
My basement sits at approx steady 67F in the summer. Most the yeast strains I have used have a maximum fermentation range of 70-75. However, today got really hot. Ambient temp in the basement is about 73F and my ferm temp shot up to 79F. I want to move my fermentor to a cooler area but I don't want to shock the yeast or affect the fermentation in any bad way. According to the instructions it states "move the fermenter to a warmer or cooler spot as needed."

http://www.northernbrewer.com/documentation/beerkits/BourbonBarrelPorter.pdf

However, I remember reading this article stating that a variation within even 4 degrees can have negative effects.

https://sciencebrewer.com/2012/08/06/experiment-effects-of-fermentation-temperature-on-beer/

What should I do? I'm using Danstar Windsor and it's about 28 hours since pitching the yeast.

Hi,
Assuming you are fermenting in a bucket or other small fermenter, instead of moving the fermenter try placing the fermenter in a pan of water. Then place a wet t-shirt over the fermenter and make sure the bottom of the shirt is down in the water. The wet shirt will provide refrigeration by evaporation and will cool your fermenter.

Make a makeshift fermentation chiller with ice/wet towels in a bucket/plastic container.

The damage (if noticeable to your palate) may already be done however depending on how long was over temp.

The only way you'd shock the yeast would be to drop the temps about 20 degrees all at once. Moving it to a colder area or surrounding it with ice/water/t shirts/magic won't shock anything and you will be fine. If it was close to being done it probably helped the yeast since yeast actually like warmer temperatures to grow.

Windsor yeast is finicky about temp changes and works better if starts 64* cool and allowed to rise on it's own to 70*. Bringing it down 5-9 degrees will impact the FG and most likely stall the fermentation. After it completes fermentation at 70* after 7-12 days I bring it to 74* for 7 days and then keg.

Windsor yeast is finicky about temp changes and works better if starts 64* cool and allowed to rise on it's own to 70*. Bringing it down 5-9 degrees will impact the FG and most likely stall the fermentation. After it completes fermentation at 70* after 7-12 days I bring it to 74* for 7 days and then keg.

This is my first time using Windsor and from what I've read it's a fussy yeast. I already brought the ferm temps from 79F down to 64F over a 24 hour period. It may have been a mistake. If my gravity readings show under attenuation I might just finish it with some US-05.

In the future I will be more selective with my yeast until I have a fermentation chamber or better temp control.

Thanks for your input.

I'd just move it to a cooler place, I seriously doubt a 5 degree temperature swing is going to shock the yeast, it's gonna keep on chugging. It's most crucial in the first couple of days of fermentation, so this may not even matter regardless if you're further along than that.

Latest posts

Back