Mounting a heating element...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jiggs_casey

Reaction score
There are a lot of posts on the subject but I think I'm looking for the wrong thing.

I have a heating element I want to mount in my brew kettle. It's a 'screw-in' type and the threads are 1 1/4" in diameter. I am looking to find something to screw this into. I have searched on '1.25" bulkhead and 1.25" stainless steel nut' and I'm not finding what I'm looking for.

If anybody has any ideas or links to do this 'weldless', it would be greatly appreciated...

Also I would recomend you check what thread it is, most of the 1" seem to be NPT (I think) and the 1 1/4" that I've seen are BSP. Just so you don't buy the wrong back nut (the name for what I was quoted for). Good luck.

1" pipe thread actually measures larger if you are using a ruler to determine its size.
US made threaded elements are 1" NPS (National Pipe Straight) threads.

To get it exact, American National Standard Straight Pipe Threads (NPSM) are for mechanical joints. The thread on a water heater element is a 1" NPSM thread as it is a mechanical joint because the sealing is done with the washer. The dimensions are:

Nominal 1"
Threads per inch 11 1/2
Major diameter 1.293 max, 1.281 min.

This per Machinery's Handbook 23rd Edition

Therefore the 1" nut from BargainFittings works well.

I've been having the same problem. The element I have measures over an inch across and I have been holding off ordering because I wasn't sure which bushing to order.

Just making sure, every element out there will fit a 1" bushing or nut?

-cheers

The link states you should be able to hand tighten them to get a decent seal. I'm drilling the holes and testing for leaks on saturday. I'll post the results... :)

conpewter said:
Wonder how strong/waterproof it would be to solder the nut onto the keg... I don't have anyone to weld it.

That's exactly what a lot of people do. Check out the soldering stainless sticky. I posted my results in there with others.

Latest posts

Back