Mount RIMS on cooler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RPh_Guy

Bringing Sour Back
Reaction score
I'm setting up my (extremely simple) brew stand and I'm thinking the best place to put my RIMS tube is actually attached vertically to my standard 10 gal round cooler mash tun.

I have the 12" tube from BrewHardware, so it has nuts welded onto the tri-clamps. I'm not sure if they're useful at this point.

Has anyone done something similar or have any ideas about what kind of hardware I can use?

Last edited:
Not wild about relying on things screwed into LDPE.
Could you attach a rigid riser to whatever your vessels sit upon and attach the RIM tube to that?

Cheers!

I would need to buy or build something.

Just brainstorming:
The thing screwed on for the cup holder seems reasonably solid, but I agree screws + plastic = probably not a good long-term solution.

Now I am thinking I could actually just hang it from the rim of the cooler with some kind of over-the-door hook or a strong clamp.

I'm not sure that cupholder thing is screwed on, I always assumed it was attached with some adhesive. Which brings up the possibility that you could use a construction adhesive, maybe?

Here's what I entered up doing. It's a heavy duty spring clamp and a u-bolt. Works well.

IMG_0688.JPG

Thanks guys

Pretty neat. You could drill a hole in the spring clamp and thread in the bolt that connects to the nut on the RIMS TC clamp. I could also see putting a female camlock on the end of that clamp-over whirlpool return so that it can clip directly to the upper output port of the RIMS tube.

You could drill a hole in the spring clamp and thread in the bolt that connects to the nut on the RIMS TC clamp.
That's a great idea! Thanks!

FYI
I switch the whirlpool return to and from the kettle for heating the strike water in the kettle (pictured below) and for transferring.
I also adjust the height of the whirlpool return in the mash tun. It reaches all the way to the bottom of the mash tun so I can add the strike water to the grain with less oxygen exposure. I then raise it above the grain bed for recirculation.

IMG_0686.JPG

I really like this setup! All the parts from you are top notch.

I need to put some kind of diffuser on the end of the return because it creates way too strong of a jet/whirlpool for my purposes. Maybe a short length of silicone tubing with a bunch of holes? Can I drill through silicone?

I tried drilling thru silicone on Saturday. I could get through, but the smaller the hole you’d make, the more it seems the silicone would want to just seal itself back up. Plus you have to clean up a bunch of silicon shreds.

I was contemplating it for my mash return hose to return wort from inside the mash, but after some drilling testing I’m squashing the idea.

I tried drilling thru silicone on Saturday. I could get through, but the smaller the hole you’d make, the more it seems the silicone would want to just seal itself back up. Plus you have to clean up a bunch of silicon shreds.

I was contemplating it for my mash return hose to return wort from inside the mash, but after some drilling testing I’m squashing the idea.
I've drilled rubber stoppers before, and it sounds like a similar challenge, but I found a solution. You can't just use a regular drill bit, or the material does just get pushed out of the way and close back in. I had success in making, essentially, a little hole saw. I'd cut down a piece of brass tubing of the desired diameter from the hobby/project aisle of the hardware store, and file teeth on one end of it. Chuck it in the drill and away you go.

I'd think you'd almost have to do something like a hole punch to get through that cleanly. I don't know if you could get a standard paper hole punch to accommodate the silicone tubing in the space available, but there are other ways to punch a hole.

I'm thinking of a hole punch that one uses on tarps or canvas prior to using press-together grommets.

Something like these: https://www.amazon.com/Togolo-Leath...571321523&sprefix=female+hdmi,aps,146&sr=8-11

I actually have one of these, which is where the idea comes from, but I like the above item better as it has a lot of different hole diameters: https://www.amazon.com/General-Tool...1571321644&sprefix=female+hdmi,aps,146&sr=8-9

I need to put some kind of diffuser on the end of the return because it creates way too strong of a jet/whirlpool for my purposes.
I think I found what I need:

A spiral nozzle
s-l400.jpg
and a compression fitting.

Back