Mould on juice!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fenbrewer

Reaction score
Hi guys/gals
New to forum so hello to all first.
We pressed out around 100lts of pear juice just before Xmas, I went to it yesterday to draw some of to ferment it but when I opened the barrel there was quite a smell of vinegar and a large blob on the surface, the barrel has been stored in a cool place and sealed. This morning I looked in the fermenters and there is some white specking on the surface I haven't added any yeast yet as I wanted it to warm up before adding. Any ideas? Is it worth keeping or is

Sorry didn't finish last post! Pressed send by mistake! Was going to add is it a write off?

Sounds to me like you didn't do anything to preserve it. Either by using metabisulphite or by freezing it. Wild yeasts or bacteria took over. Sad…...

Sadly, It would be my guess that it is gone.

Freezing it would have been the way to go if you weren't going to use it for 3+ weeks.

As they say you learn with experience!!! I pulled 50lts out and put it in 2 fermenters dropped some yeast in and it's bubbling away nicely, so time will tell I guess!!!!

Back