Motorizing My MM3

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dfitz

Reaction score
I've read many threads and viewed YouTube vids regarding motorizing grain mills. I liked the direct drive application as the bearing of the drive roller doesn't seem to me to be designed to hold pulley combined with the lateral stress from a tensioned belt. However, pulleys, pillow blocks and a 1/2 hp motor is what I had on hand. The one part I did have to order was an L090 size coupler to match the 3/8" drive. I would have preferred a 1/2 drive but the mill was a gift several years ago and it has served me well using a drill motor for years now. Many say, why motorize when a drill works so well? Well, this cost me $13 to set up, that's why. Now I have better control as I run at 150ish rpm. I'll add some duct for a grain shoot and a hopper extension and I should be set.

IMG_2282.jpg

IMG_2283.jpg

Well done! If you wouldn't mind could you provide some more details on the additional parts you used? Pulley dimensions, fittings, etc. I got offered this new motor by a friend for $20 so I feel like I've got to make it work hah.

https://www.johnstonesupply.com/storefront/product-view.ep?pID=S87-980

Quick Edit: It is a three speed motor so I'm wondering what I need to do to take advantage of that for the ideal milling RPM

The motor is 1/2 hp w/ 5/8" shaft on a 1-1/2" pulley

The top pulley is a 12" pulley sheathed to a 5/8" round stock. Two pillow block bearings to stabilize the shaft for direct drive and fit to a 5/8" L090 Lovejoy spider coupler.

The mill is fit with a 3/8" or 1/2" (depending on you mill shaft size) L090 Lovejoy coupler.

Using a 2x4 block to set the pillow block bearings offers an almost perfect height. I did have to shim the pillow block bearings with a single washer for a perfect height.

Back