Motorized Grain Mills: Time to show them off!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally got around to getting a cart for the malt mill. Inexpensive steel cart from Amazon. Used the same wooden base I had it all mounted to. Now I can drop a bucket on the shelf below and swap in a new bucket when it gets full. Fairly sturdy on the cart. I have another shelf I might modify to fit around the hopper as act as a shelf and further stabilize the hopper. A final step will be to shim or bolt the wooden baseboard to the wire shelf to keep it from moving. So far hasn't been an issue.

TD

IMG_0602.jpg

I'm pretty sure that steppers motor require electronic commutation just like a brushless DC motor. If the motor has more than 2 or 3 wires, it usually requires an external controller to send pulses of power to each of the separate windings in the correct order and timing to run at a giving speed.

In other words, you cant apply a constant voltage and get a constant speed.

So... they get a signal from a computer (cnc controller) that tells it how many steps to take and how fast those steps need to be? Hmm... I bet there are some Sparky's out there that could make it work. I however, am not one.

bluedog_Brewing said:
I'm pretty sure that steppers motor require electronic commutation just like a brushless DC motor. If the motor has more than 2 or 3 wires, it usually requires an external controller to send pulses of power to each of the separate windings in the correct order and timing to run at a giving speed.

In other words, you cant apply a constant voltage and get a constant speed.

Correct. Someone explained it to me on here, maybe earlier in this thread. They need switched polarity on pairs on wires to move in steps.

Can't recall if I posted this already. Simple, but works like a charm.

IMAG0063.jpg

I used to have the same setup built from "Sam's Wortomatic" plans. Worked great. However, I think the GE gear motors are hard to come by unless surpluscenter.com has them back in stock now.

Sorry if this has been asked before, I've tried searching and came up with nothing definitive maybe I just missed it. I'm starting to look around for a used motor to power my mill, but I'm wondering what is the recommended minimum horse power of the motor? I see most people here have 1/3 hp or more, is that just because they're more available or is anything less just not optimal?

scutiger said:
Sorry if this has been asked before, I've tried searching and came up with nothing definitive maybe I just missed it. I'm starting to look around for a used motor to power my mill, but I'm wondering what is the recommended minimum horse power of the motor? I see most people here have 1/3 hp or more, is that just because they're more available or is anything less just not optimal?

It depends on the size of the mill you're powering. Smaller 2 roller mills like the Barley Crusher can get by with 1/3 HP or less. Bigger mills with larger rollers (2") and/or 3 rollers will need at least 1/2 HP and preferably 1 HP. Torque and start up torque also matter (torque is a function of HP and RPM). Too low a torque means you may not be able to get the mill started; especially with grain already loaded into it. Getting a motor with a capacitor helps with that.

FWIW, I have a MM2 with 1.5" rollers and have no problem running it with a 90W (~1/8 HP) gear motor (scavenged for free). The gear motor has a 12.5:1 ratio and output RPM is about 113RPM. At that speed I can mill 20 lbs of grain in about 5 minutes. I can start it up with a full hopper too.

I will post some pictures later, don't have any with me right now.

I used to have the same setup built from "Sam's Wortomatic" plans. Worked great. However, I think the GE gear motors are hard to come by unless surpluscenter.com has them back in stock now.

That's what I hear. I got mine a few years ago. If it ever goes down, I'm having it rebuilt. :rockin:

It depends on the size of the mill you're powering. Smaller 2 roller mills like the Barley Crusher can get by with 1/3 HP or less. Bigger mills with larger rollers (2") and/or 3 rollers will need at least 1/2 HP and preferably 1 HP. Torque and start up torque also matter (torque is a function of HP and RPM). Too low a torque means you may not be able to get the mill started; especially with grain already loaded into it. Getting a motor with a capacitor helps with that.

You also want to go with something that has a relatively low rpm (or can be set to a low rpm). I think my motor turns about 110 rpm.

Reverse is a great function to have. Sometimes, they stick. Throwing it into reverse for a second alleviates this.

Yep, you want to be in the 100-200 rpm range (vs 1765 rpm coming straight out of the motor). High rpm will shred the grain husks leading to a stuck sparge.

Cleaned up the control box since last post.
Bottom switch is reverse / off / forward.
E-Stop is probably overkill, but it looks cool. ;)

AnOldUR -- your design is so cool! It inspired me to start a new project to motorize my Monster Mill. I just found a gear motor on eBay (Bodine 42R5BFCI-E2; 115V, 115RPM, 68 lb-in). I've ordered some 1/2" x 6" aluminum plates (1x1ft, 2x2ft), a Lovejoy spider gear and a switch (see diagram below).

After using your design for a while, is there anything you would do differently now? Any suggestions on things to look out for during the build? I've got a limited collection of tools (plan to use hand drill and coping saw on the aluminum).

Switch Wiring.jpg

After using your design for a while, is there anything you would do differently now? Any suggestions on things to look out for during the build?
Actually, there isn't anything I'd change. The simplicity of the design is one of its best features. Probably won’t happen, but if anything, I’d cut some windows in up-right and base aluminum pieces to lighten it up a little. Although there’s not a lot to be gained since most of the weight is in the motor.

The one thing I can think of to look out for when building is the distance between the base and the bottom of the upper cross piece. On mine it’s 18”. I use an Ale Pail to catch my milled grain. It’s 17½“ tall without a lid. When I started using my mill, grain dust would fly around and be a little messy. What I did to stop this is cut a window in a bucket lid the same size as the opening at the base of the mill. With the lid loosely on top of the bucket, it’s a snug fit between the two cross pieces so the dust stays contained in the bucket.

Good luck with your build. I’d like to see pictures when it’s done.

I just found a gear motor on eBay (Bodine 42R5BFCI-E2; 115V, 115RPM, 68 lb-in).

curious what you found that for if you don't mind my asking. I took a look and about the cheapest one I've found is a bit over $200 and escalates rapidly from there. That about the going rate?

curious what you found that for if you don't mind my asking. I took a look and about the cheapest one I've found is a bit over $200 and escalates rapidly from there. That about the going rate?

I found mine on ebay for $99 + $28 shipping

Around 250 rpm is probably the best compromise of crush and efficiency, but 100 in either direction is fine. Too fast will shred the husks, too slow is . . . well, too slow. If given a choice, I'd go slower rather than faster. At one point I had a 50 rpm gearmotor on my Barley Crusher. Wasn't really a problem. Fill hopper while strike water heats and walk away for a while. The crush is what's important. Currently using a 177 rpm gearmotor.

That's the same model I got, from the same vendor. I got the $99 version as it was "new" (it did show some scrapes/rust however)

You got a good deal for a new one.
I paid a looooot more fore a new one with more torque of course which I use as a mash mixer .

Cheers,
ClauddiusB

shaw - I'd reccomend calling grainger for your connecting parts. Those couplers are offered in several sizes and can get tricky to get set up. Graingers techs can find the right stuff for YOUR equipment.

I'm not too knowledgeable about motors so wondering would I need anything other than a Lovejoy coupler and mounting bracket to run my mill with this? Also, not seeing the RPMs?
Thanks in advance for any advice.

Motor RPM 115 and you need a 15 uF capacitor.Don't buy the motor coupling until you have the motor and mill to get the shaft size.
This gives you more coupling option, besides the Lovejoy.
If I get the chance tomorrow I look up the capacitor for you.

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

I'm not too knowledgeable about motors so wondering would I need anything other than a Lovejoy coupler and mounting bracket to run my mill with this?

Pretty much. Add in a power switch and you should be good to go.

Also, not seeing the RPMs?[...]

These gear motors typically use a 1725 rpm motor, so with a 15:1 reduction gear set, the output shaft should be running at 115...

Cheers!

[edit] Indeed, if you use the "zoom" function on the image shown in the eBay ad, you can make out the 115 rpm on the motor plate...

Motor RPM 115 and you need a 15 uF capacitor.Don't buy the motor coupling until you have the motor and mill to get the shaft size.
This gives you more coupling option, besides the Lovejoy.
If I get the chance tomorrow I look up the capacitor for you.

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

Cool, thanks for the info ClaudiusB.
day tripper too, must have looked 10 times and didn't notice the 115 RPM right there, duh.

Bodine gear motor
HP=1/9
RPM=26
Torque=146 lb-in
You wouldn't happen to have a source with a good price for that gearmotor? The one I'm using to mix works fine but is pretty noisey. Got it cheap on eBay several years ago. It's 30RPM, 58 in-lb start, 90 in-lb run.

And to stay on topic, I did use one of these gearmotors to mill grain for a while. Took waaaay too long.

You wouldn't happen to have a source with a good price for that gearmotor?
Not currently
As soon I see one I will let you know.
I put you on my to do list;)
The one I'm using to mix works fine but is pretty noisey.

Those shaded pole motors with gearboxes are all noisey.
I use a few for my automated grain dispensing system, still under construction.

How many gallons do you need to mix?
My small mash tun and grain mill use a small Bodine gear motor.

Here you can hear and see one of my four noisey shaded pole gear motors.
Video

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

Not currently
As soon I see one I will let you know.
I put you on my to do list;)

If you would be so kind as to put me on that to do list I'll be very grateful. I'll continue to do some searches myself, but for the next month am too busy with other projects. cheers, JD

Latest posts

Back